TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1 family 65 rambler classic rebirth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4porter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 family 65 rambler classic rebirth
    Posted: Sep/28/2014 at 9:43pm
well I have a few other posts but thought I would have a project thread. I am working with my son to bring back to life his great grand fathers 1965 550 rambler classic. The car has always been in the family. My wife was driving the car when I  met her in 1985. My brother in law was the last to drive it in 1999. The car sat in my sister in laws barn until 2 years ago. She decided she wanted it out of the barn it was trailered back to my father in laws place out side of Council Bluffs, Ia. Where it has sat out side for two years. That is where  my son came in. I liked the car and thought it would be cool to get it on the road again. So with a low budget we have set out a plan to bring her back. This summer I inspected the car and she has some rust in the floor pans driver front and passenger rear. The gas tank is a big issue. We then built a car port to protect it from the sun and rain. I then had Porter clean out the inside and plug holes with steal wool. A few mice got into it while it slept in the barn. I started to see if she would start found out she( the engine could turn freely.  We changed the oil. Worked on the brakes the master was empty. We do have brakes again but can't bleed the front drivers wheel. I had to do some work to get spark but finnaly got it today. With my progress I made a temp gas tank out of a water bottle put a fitting on the end and got some hose. When I pulled off the hose from the gas tank there was still old gas. I put my temp tank on and put a little gas in the carb. Had Porter crank it and she popped. I put a little more gas in the carb and thought she would go but no luck. So that's were we stand today. I will up date as I can and post pics when I can.

The goal is to get her to run this fall figure out a tank. Brother in law said it had several holes. Next spring we will start removing body parts my goal is to paint the car by next August.
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2014 at 10:04pm
Good to see a father son project. Even better since it's a family heirloom.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2014 at 2:43am
There is an allen-head drain plug on the gas tank. Put a pan under it and drain out whatever is still left in there. Where did you hook up your temporary gas can? If to the fuel pump, possibly the pump is bad or you didn't crank long enough to fill the float bowls in the carburetor. Also, the inlet needle seat in the carb could be stuck closed not allowing gas to go into the carb. Keep at it and keep us posted.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2014 at 6:33am
Glad you are here on the Forum. Lots of good info and knowledge share.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
4porter View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4porter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2014 at 7:00pm
2nd try

thanks for replies. I had selected email notify but I didn't get any.

I will remove the line going from the fuel pump to the carb if that works I will crank until all is filled in the carb. The gas is golden so I hope I can get it to run and let some carb cleaner clean out the inside. 
we got the bolts loose that hold the tank in I will see how much gas is in it. Not sure I can get the drain plug out. 

I will keep all posted and I am sure have more quedtions.
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2014 at 9:59pm
Bring back the Family Rambler is a wonderful journey. Enjoy every minute (even the frustrating ones).
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2014 at 10:02am
Originally posted by 4porter 4porter wrote:

2nd try

thanks for replies. I had selected email notify but I didn't get any.

I will remove the line going from the fuel pump to the carb if that works I will crank until all is filled in the carb. The gas is golden so I hope I can get it to run and let some carb cleaner clean out the inside. 
we got the bolts loose that hold the tank in I will see how much gas is in it. Not sure I can get the drain plug out. 

I will keep all posted and I am sure have more quedtions.

Be careful on trying to get the plug out. You don't want to tear out the fitting.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2014 at 11:07am
We dropped the tank and manually poured the 20 year old tangerine turpentine out of the tank...about 15 gallons of it.
4porter View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4porter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2014 at 5:04pm
I don't think that much gas  is in there. 

I am sure others have had to replace the tank. What have they used? 
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2014 at 6:41pm
It's very hard to find replacements - try to salvage yours.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic