TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1959 196 motor is toast help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote draco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1959 196 motor is toast help
    Posted: Jul/02/2015 at 5:24pm
I just found out all the small problems with my 59 American weren't all that was wrong I had the head machined and took it in to have a valve job and the news came back that atleast two cylinders have cracks total they want to just fix that is 1100 plus parts kinda steep. My question is how hard would it be to put a more modern motor and trans in it and what would fit best I'm between a rock and a hard place I've got too much in it to give up but running out of money any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance 
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2015 at 8:57pm
The simplest one is another 196.   there isn't much room for any other engine........any other engine is going to have to have modifications to make it work.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2015 at 9:31pm
196 flathead?
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
draco View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote draco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2015 at 9:51pm
Yep the original flathead I had hoped to keep the car as close to original as possible but the motor is gonna get expensive it seems I knew little things would need to be done but not immediately
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2015 at 10:03pm
Advertise in the Wanted section for a flathead. I think I saw one on ebay or elsewhere this week. If it's not too far from you, that might be the way to go.
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2015 at 10:21am
Search for American engine swap. There are a couple that fit the tight engine bay, but only one rather modern AMC derived engine -- the 2.5L Jeep four. The early carbed and TBI engine will fit (must remove the EGR from the TBI intake) without metal work. The later MPI (multi port injection -- injector for each cylinder) intake sticks out too far. You could use a carb intake and mod it for injectors and the throttle body though. The longer intake runners add a little low end torque, but I don't think you'd lose enough to notice.

Ford 200 and 250 sixes with intake made onto the head will fit, and the late 2.3L/2.5L four from a Ranger with the intake that curve over the valve cover will fit. Not much else because of the narrow part of the engine bay between the spring towers.

Any engine change will require fabricated engine mounts, trans mount and crossmember, trans swap (to match engine), and a custom driveshaft. Not particularly expensive, but takes some work.

Hmmm...  PM me!! I have a good running 196 OHV about to come out of a customer's 63 Classic. You can use it with your trans and be up and running, or just swap the heads. I know nothing of the history of the car, but right now it runs smooth. I'd retorque the head before running much, but as far as I know/can tell that's all it needs.  I'm in central South Carolina, and I see you're in Georgia...
Frank Swygert
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2015 at 11:09am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

or just swap the heads.

His engine is a flatheadWink
draco View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote draco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2015 at 12:02pm
I really do appreciate all the help you guys give it is very valuble
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2015 at 4:55pm
Has anyone checked out the '99 up TJ 2.5L intake? It seems to me they changed it along with the 4.0L one so it's closer to the head.

As for the motor, is the head cracked or the block? How trustworthy is the outfit looking at it?
draco View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote draco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2015 at 5:14pm
Thanks for the help. The block is cracked in at least 2 of the cylinders they say it can be fixed to be better than new it's just the money involved that is the problem. The shop is rated pretty good they machined the head already before we found the other problem they are about the only shop around here that does this kind of work.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic