TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

196 fuel pump install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electrictech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 196 fuel pump install
    Posted: Sep/23/2020 at 11:24pm
So i swapped a 195.6 out of a 62 American into my 61 classic. I thought everything was the same so I did not take pictures ,duh.
Having some trouble hooking up the fuel pump. I am using my fuel pump off the 61 on the 62 motor and realize they were a different. I have attached pictures of the 61 fuel pump. I believe the two fittings on the bottom are fuel in/out and the fittings on top are vacuum for the wiper. On the bottom there is the word wiper and I don't know what it means. Also attached is a hard line coming out of the intake manifold on the 62 engine and I don't know where it goes. I have a TSM but it is no help.
al1630 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al1630 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2020 at 8:56am
That bottom section is for vacuum windshield wipers. The fuel pump doubles as a booster so the wipers work better. the 'In' side goes to the intake manifold and the 'out' side runs to the wiper motor which is under the dash.
Alex
1963 Rambler American 440H
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2020 at 11:23pm
what al1630 says.

THey are interchangeable, if both from 195.6's, but you'll have to fiddle the plumbing. 

It seems Carter made 9000 pumps, all the same but microscopically different. 

YOu can also 'reclock' the cover castings, but I'd be reluctant to do so on ancient pumps; you're likely to tear a diaphragm.

Id get it rebuilt while it's out. $150 and no way around that. DIY rebuilds cost most of that for the parts.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2020 at 6:22am
Yeah, some had the vac booster on top, some on bottom. The "wiper" and arrow mean that nipple goes to the wiper motor, the one beside it with the hard line goes to the intake manifold (the hard line you pointed out, and the hard line shown on the pump). 
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2020 at 10:33pm
Most of this info is in the Service Manual, not always detailed photos of the plumbing. 

*fuel pumps from tank to carb

*"vacuum" pumps air from the wiper motor into the manifold

as long as that's met, it will work.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic