TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1963 American Disc Brakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al1630 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1963 American Disc Brakes
    Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 9:39pm
I'm looking to put disc brakes on the front of my '63 Rambler American for better stopping, and I was wondering if there's a good kit to use on this model. Does the scarebird kit I've heard about work on this model, and if so how much modification is needed? I also have a friend with a set from a Pacer he's willing to donate if they fit. Is that possible? Thanks!
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 9:53pm
i've put the Scarebird kit on a 61 and a 63 American. they fit perfectly.

i would not use the old AMC stuff. the parts are hard to find, the Scarebird kit uses new(er) parts... and none of it will be worn out.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 9:58pm
Just make sure you get the smaller size scarebird kit.  The bigger one needs 15" wheels (ie not stock) to fit properly.  I've got the smaller scarebird kit on my Classic.  Car stops great and the kit fits 14" wheels fine.

Since a previous owner did the install, I can't speak to modifications.  Probably a little difference between an American and Classic there anyway.
1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2018 at 6:06am
58-63 Americans use 15" wheels -- have to due to steering arm placement. I'd still stick with the smaller Scarebird kit. You won't get any real benefit from the larger one in that light car, not unless you're putting a high power V-8 in it (a tough job!).
Frank Swygert
al1630 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al1630 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 9:00am
Thanks, great to know! From what I had read the kit required modification (Maybe those were referencing an older version.) I'll look into getting a kit eventually.

Edit: Is https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=55 - this kit the right one to get?

Edited by al1630 - Jul/14/2018 at 10:41am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 9:58am
That's it! TomJ put one on his 61 Roadster. It was an earlier version that required a little grinding. The current bracket shouldn't, but I don't know of anyone who has used it on a 68-63 American yet. Scarebird is good about taking notes from users and fixing the issues with a revision. Means there are at least three versions of the AMC bracket out there now, maybe four, but the latest fits all AMCs so far.

Tom just had to do a little grinding. Note that you could use a grade 8 washer or two as spacers for the spindle instead. A single washer will space the spindle out just about 1/16" (more like 3/64"), right at 0.05" (0.046"... assuming 3/64 thickness is correct). Use grade 8 washes as they are a hardened material and won't deform, and are also uniform in size. You won't notice anything from that small amount of space, shouldn't even need longer bolts, but may.

Frank Swygert
al1630 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al1630 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 10:43am
I just took a closer look at the page and in the title it says "1964-78 AMC; Javelin, Rambler, Rebel, Pacer, Hornet, Gremlin front disc", but in the product description it says "We revised our budget solution to stopping your 1955-73 AMC". I wonder why those date ranges are different. I might have to send them an email.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 5:50am
They originally advertised 64-78 because that's the only range of cars they had actual verification that the brakes fit. Several of us have reported to them that they will actually fit back to 55, with many verified examples. The 58-63 American is the tightest fit of any in the 55-78 range, and they have revised the bracket to not require grinding as TomJ had to do. They will fit RWD cars up to 1983 just fine, but 79-83 all have front disc brakes you can still get rotors for through normal parts channels, though some stores don't carry a supplier that has them. I could get them through Autozone but not Advance last time I needed a rotor, about 4-5 years ago.
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2018 at 12:43am
what frank says.

on my 63 i had to do the grinding frank points out. i communicated this to scarebird back then, probably others did too. years later i got another scarebird kit and it just bolted on without modification. scarebird guy listens and couldn't possibly be a more responsive aftermarket guy. he's the greatest!

i vaguely recall an email or phone call with him about the "years" thing. and as frank says, "those are the years that fit have been actually verified", a nicely conservative response.

if it's an AMC, chances are it will just bolt on, or need slight tweak to fit. but the devil is always in the details...

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

al1630 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al1630 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2018 at 8:18am
Cool! Thanks for the verification, I wanted to make sure it would fit easily.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic