TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1965 American 440

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2012 at 9:55pm
As much as I love my Classic, I always loved the 64/65 American body style.  Love to get a station wagon one day. Looking forward to seeing paint pics.
Rebel Vic View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2012 at 9:33am
Did you get that car from a guy in Tacoma?  If so I remember seeing it on craigslist.  Great work so far.  What color are you painting it?
kronik View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kronik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2012 at 10:11pm
I started working on it again today after taking about a week off to do carpet in a vette and put together a few mother's day gifts.
First off, the roof was a little rough (probably from not holding my gun perpendicular to the surface), so I sanded it smooth with some 600.  Then I finished taking apart the gauge cluster and I will be sanding the rest of the interior tonight.  Hopefully I will be masking and then shooting it with a high build primer tomorrow.
Ya, I got it from a guy in Tacoma.  The guy was really cool, he brought it a couple hundred miles to me because he wanted it to go to a collector who would fix it up.  After it's painted I will have to send him a couple pics.  I have paperwork dated January 2012 stating it's certified "junk".  I guess one man's trash IS really another's treasure... or soon to be at least.  I'm hoping to get the job done with some summer left, which shouldn't be an issue (but I got so many projects). 
The car will be dark kandy red with a pearl black top.  The chrome strip on the side will be replaced with a black stripe.  I did some test spraying with the pearls that I have, the kandy red is a little too purple-ish.  I'm looking for a dark kandy red.  I need to do some more test panels, as I only sprayed over black ones.  I have heard of people spraying red pearls over everything from silver, gold, brown and even green... all with different effects.
Anyways... enough typing, I need to get to sanding... now where did I put my redbull...Wacko

Edited by kronik - May/15/2012 at 10:12pm
65 American
67 American
Rambling On View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambling On Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2012 at 3:25am
how are things going with this any color on it yet . nice work looking forward to see the finished result . 
1965 Rambler American 440h coup LHD
nukeday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2012 at 5:37pm
Any progress pics? 
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super
Rambling On View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambling On Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2012 at 1:26am
i have just started a 65 330 project after my 66 440 was dead in the end . looking forward to seeing this with color . 

1965 Rambler American 440h coup LHD
nukeday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2013 at 4:50pm
Any updates? :)
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super
kronik View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kronik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2013 at 12:14pm
It's been about a year, but I'm finally getting some work done on this car again.  More updates soon...
65 American
67 American
colincs View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colincs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2013 at 11:07pm
Just curious, and maybe I missed it in the thread, but is there a reason you shaved the rear door handles and not the fronts?
kronik View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kronik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2013 at 11:34pm
I painted the car with some high build primer (FP415) last year and started sanding on it and never posted any pics; I found em, so here they are...

Its got a little bit of striping on it because i put down two thick layers and started coming up short on paint for the third.  Doesn't really matter since it's all getting sanded down anyways.

After lots of block sanding it eventually looked like this, and this is pretty much how I left it last year...

What you can't see in the pictures is the work that has gone into getting the top strait; it had several dents on it that for some reason went unnoticed until this stage.  Block sanding the top and the hood is tedious.  Since the metal isn't supported very well, you can't use very much pressure otherwise it tries to flex.

I have some more recent pictures of the work I have done lately, but they are on my other computer... I will have them up in a couple days or so
65 American
67 American
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic