TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 Javelin SST Rescue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue68SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 Javelin SST Rescue
    Posted: Nov/17/2014 at 9:22pm
I am new to the forum world, and thought I would share the story of my recent acquisition. I had a 68 Javelin SST as my first car as a teenager. I worked on it endlessly, learning every nut and bolt on the car.I sold it in 1986, and almost instantly regretted it. A half a lifetime later, I finally found another one. It too was the first car of the previous owner, as a teenager. In 1992, he undertook a major restoration, cutting out the rusted panels welding in steel replacements, changing the color from hold to blue,restored the interior, changing the color from gold to black. New BF Goodrich Radial T/A's and Cragar S/S rims. The engine and transmission were rebuilt the year before. He was a brake job away from completion when circumstances in his life forced him to shelve the project. It was stored indoors since '92, moving from place to place. It was started regularly until about 2004, but hasnt run since.
I made the deal a month ago and had it flat bedded home to my garage. It is all original, the only mod to the 2 barrel 290 is a set of headers and dual exhaust.
I have completed the brake job, and am now working on getting it started. I have put Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders, it turns over well. I have replaced the plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, points, condenser, and coil.
The gas tank had to be dropped and drained, getting about half a gallon of sludge out of it. It was sandblasted, coated and reinstalled last week. The stock carb has been sent out for a rebuild, I hope to get it back for the weekend and try to fire it up. I look forward to working on the car as my weekend project over the long Canadian winter, and getting it road ready for the spring. I anticipate I will be seeking assistance from other forum members as things come up that I can't figure out!
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2014 at 9:31pm
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a solid car. Have any pictures? Always nice to see a person's project/love of their life, lol. You're off to a good start with waking her from her slumber. I would suggest priming the oil pump before starting, since it has sat so long.
Blue68SST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue68SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2014 at 8:07pm
Again, I am new to the forum thing, do I need a minimum of 30 posts to upload pictures? As to priming of the oil pump, I have read of different ways to accomplish this. The easy way is to cut off a standard screwdriver and attach it to a drill, engaging the oil pump down the distributor hole. I have heard this risks damage to the oil pump shaft. Another way would be to get an old distributor and use the distributor shaft itself in the drill. I don't have easy access to an old distributor, how risky is the screwdriver option? Any other ideas?
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2014 at 10:03pm
No, you don't need X number of posts to upload pics. What method of uploading are you using?

There are oil pump priming tools, or you could pick up a used dist. Personally, I wouldn't use a screw driver. Many oil pumps use the same size drive, so finding an old dist to rip apart for the shaft shouldn't be hard. Could even make one out of steel. Would just have to cut/grind/shape the end to match that of the dist shaft.
Blue68SST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue68SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2014 at 9:13pm
Ok, here's afew pictures.......This is how it looked when I first found it:
http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/Mike_Keizerwaard/media/AviaryPhoto_130577035472021125_zps2c94c546.png. -

And how I had to move it, brakes were seized, but not bad!
http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/Mike_Keizerwaard/media/DSCF1831_zpsdd826fb1.jpg. -

Washed up and in my driveway!

http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/Mike_Keizerwaard/media/DSCF1834_zpsfc9b441e.jpg. -
Blue68SST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue68SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2014 at 9:18pm
My first 68 Javelin SST, hours before I sold it in 1986
http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/Mike_Keizerwaard/media/aboyandhiscar_zpseb494a8e.png. -
Zioamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zioamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2014 at 10:03am
wow nice score looks to be in great condition .... from your early picture you look a lot like my cousin the lives in Ohio
      .....1969 Sc/Rambler....
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2014 at 1:15pm
Car looks to be in good condition!  
javsst70 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javsst70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2014 at 1:29pm
Why didn't you trade it for that Rustang II across the street? LOL
Blue68SST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue68SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2014 at 7:25pm
http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/msk2908/media/CEEA6429-DF18-4277-A1E5-33A051DE5C3F_zpsupza4nnq.jpg. - </a>

The interior is in great shape, the black paint over the woodgrain on the steering wheel has got to go.
The carb has been rebuilt, and if it ever warms up here, I will get it back on the car.
I ordered an oil pump priming tool from Bulltear, I will wait until it gets here before I try to get it started.
I plan on keeping it basically stock, using it as a sunny Sunday driver.
First on my wish list, after getting it started is a set of chrome Magnum 500 rims, any thoughts on where they can be found?
Also, I have a factory tach that was installed but never wired up.It looks like the original wiring harness that is run into the engine compartment near the solenoid, a yellow wire and a blue wire. Does anyone have an idea where I hook up to?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic