TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > The Member Companies and Products of AMC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 rebel SST wagon "typhoon package"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawno47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 rebel SST wagon "typhoon package"
    Posted: Mar/22/2017 at 12:09pm
Hey all, new to the forum... I've got a friend who have a 1968 rebel 770 wagon, it's an SST with a 343 and a 4 speed manual Trans with a bench seat. Factory dual exhaust and a 4bbl carb with a limited slip reared. The motor is a solid lifter motor, amongst a lot of other goofy options, in the glove box is a factory manual that has specs about a TYPHOON PACKAGE, I've been trying forever to find production numbers of the car or what exactly the rarity of it is... anyway I may have stumbled upon yet another 68 wagon with all the same options only this one is an automatic... any information on these two wagons would be wonderful, the auto wagon is a runner driver and a lot less rusty than the manual Trans wagon but I'm interested in getting either or. Thanks again for any help.

Shawn
70amxpaul View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxpaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2017 at 4:47pm
Welcome:

You have a rare find with 343 4 speed 1968 wagon, etc. How about an photo of the manual with " Typhoon package " wording to view.
1970 red AMX 390 4speed AM FM rally PAC go PAC tilt rim blow black leather service block 60 over Canton pan Ross piston Indy intake Eddie heads Crane roller cam kit Ford 9 posi roll bar 65000 miles
Shawno47 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawno47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2017 at 4:57pm
I'll get pictures of the 4 speed wagon here soon, what about the auto wagon? Is It rare as well? I'd prefer to get a hold of the 4speed wagon but the body on it is pretty rusty. The Typhoon package manuals was only hear say from my friend, I'm going to poke around some more and see if I can see it with my own eyes. Is a typhoon package something that anyone has heard of before?
kalve View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kalve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2017 at 1:01pm
I looked up AMC Typhoon & only thing I could come up with Typhoon is the name of the V8 used in the car.  Here is the link for the Typhoon https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2007/03/A-New-Storm-Brewing/1423685.html
1964 T bird Landau

2000 Mercedes Benz CLK 430 convertible

1970 AMC Rebel SST Wagon
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2017 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by kalve kalve wrote:

I looked up AMC Typhoon & only thing I could come up with Typhoon is the name of the V8 used in the car.  Here is the link for the Typhoon https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2007/03/A-New-Storm-Brewing/1423685.html

What about the first "Typhoon", a mid-year special '64 Classic re-badged as a Typhoon to introduce the new 232 cid I-6?
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
kalve View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kalve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2017 at 2:46pm
https://jalopnik.com/383446/engine-of-the-day-amc-straight-six
1964 T bird Landau

2000 Mercedes Benz CLK 430 convertible

1970 AMC Rebel SST Wagon
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2017 at 6:43pm
'66 Dodge Charger was planned to be Chrysler's full production turbine engine powered car.

AMC played upon the image, or borrowed some of the charisma, by naming the high compression 4bbl versions of their all new '66 V8 'Typhoon'.

Where 'Typhoon' is similar word picture to 'Turbine' and suggests the same spinning motion -it's a subliminal thing.

In your case, on the Rebel wagon, there was no 'Typhoon Package' per se -it was just a name for the high compression 4bbl 343 engine.

Edited by amcenthusiast - Aug/04/2018 at 9:07am
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
mdh157 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdh157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2018 at 9:02pm
there are numbers out there for how many 4 speeds were made but I am not aware of a breakdown by body style.
'67 Ambassador DPL/3 spd/OD

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic