TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1969 "390" rebuild, Flywheel?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote super-bee_ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2019 at 9:50pm
Thank you!
I placed the order for the Ring Gear
Thanks for the great Help!
super-bee_ski

Thank you for your order.

Your Order No Is: 029586

-1977 Gremlin X 4-speed AC LEVI with 500,000+ miles on her!
-1969 SC/Rambler "A-paint scheme"
-Her name is "Abby"

BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2019 at 9:59pm
Ring gears are pretty easy to replace.
All you need is a torch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_sgiTa3gew
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2019 at 10:00pm
Your machine shop should have no problem installing it before balancing. So do I get a kick back since you didn't spend 3-400 dollars. LOL LOL LOL

Take care

ex Navy Aviation Electrician
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2019 at 12:07am
I have never seen a torch used to heat the ring gear to remove it. To much heat transfer to the flywheel. I just use a punch and drive the ring gear off. My first boss would take the flywheel and ring gear home at night. Put the flywheel in the freezer over night. Then got up in the morning and put the ring gear in the oven while he took a shower. The ring gear would fall on.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
kenoshakicker View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenoshakicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2019 at 3:23am
IMHO I would take the flywheel to a machine shop, not an engine machine shop, and have them chuck it in a lathe to true the surface.  This will show any imperfections in the wheel better than what most engine machine shop do to true the flywheel.  If you end up needing a new FW check this place out. https://www.amclives.com/collections/flywheels ; I bought a FW for an early 360 and I know someone who bought one for an early 401 and both work perfectly. 
 I had problems with Summit sending me the wrong clutch parts, which I returned.  I bought my clutch from Phoenix Friction and they have their own issues, mainly service.   They sent me the wrong pilot bushing.  I called them Dec. 2015 and I am still waiting on their call back to tell me what they are going to do about it.  In Dec 2018 I called with a question about a throw out bearing they sent me of course I am still waiting for their call back.
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2019 at 6:06am
If your just going to drive the car easy with street tires on it, then the stock flywheel will be fine. If your going to race it or install drag slicks then you should buy a steel flywheel so it doesn't end up coming through the floor and cutting your foot off later. If you think a $400 flywheel is costly try repairing your car afterwards or the medical bills in the aftermath of a flywheel coming out. There is a reason SFI flywheels are steel. Some will say you don't need this or you don't need that, but if your hot rodding a manual transmission car that is the first piece to replace since the OEM used cast. I would also install a driveshaft loop as a must have as well. Having blown out a driveshaft on a street car at a 115 mph after just finishing a 1/4 mile exhibition of speed on a local highway I have learned to be prepared. One of the u-joint cars tried to shoot me in the leg. It cut 3/4 the diameter of the cap through two layers of steel where they over lapped on the transmission tunnel. When it was over the only thing that saved me was the balance tube on the exhaust. It kept the driveshaft off the road, but it ruined the driveshaft, cracked the bellhousing, cracked the transmission case, cracked the tailhousing, and trashed the exhaust. Just imagine what a flywheel could do. This was 35 years ago and it changed my approach to driveline safety forever. Do as you wish, but felt I should share my experience. 

Tom
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2019 at 7:08am
OK, I see you got your parts wish taken care of.  I tried to send you an e-mail. It bounced back.
super-bee_ski View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote super-bee_ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2019 at 11:02am
A BIG THANK YOU to all who have shed light and helped mye on this ring gear/Flywheel replacement

1. 1970390amx
2. rodhhrod (X2)
3. BrotherBamc
4. PROSTOCKTOM
5. bbgjc

The entire IRONY ion this build-up is:
I sent the heads out to a Local (50 miles away as I live near Edwards AFB, Mojave Desert) and they messed up my Heads...Valve guides Loose etc.
So: I researched a Shop in the Northridge LA area, Valley Head Service, Been in Business since 1958
The owner, Larry Ofair, is a truly Old School type...Cool and very knowledgable.
He actually WAS on the design Team in the Mid-60s, Hired by then Rambler to design a "New Head" with himself, a fellow Engineer/Machinist and 2 guys from Rambler (soon to be AMC)
They came up with the now famous "Dog Leg" style head.
So, I am happy my engine was/is in good hands...it is home with me now, the last item is of course, the Flywheel/Ring Gear.
Yes: The have done many many, as I spoke to them this morning.
Again, THAMK YOU for your help and guidance
This is the #2 SC/Rambler produced per the 1512 Registry, #1 was a Prototype-type. 
I want to "take care of er" for a while before I pass and then she goes to another home...
"super-bee_ski
-Her name is "Abby"

super-bee_ski View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote super-bee_ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2019 at 11:03am
PS: I never knew about American Parts Depot until now
Thanks!
-Her name is "Abby"

BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2019 at 12:09pm
There is another great AMC vendor.. 
Kennedy American.. 
If you didn't know about them already that is.. Thumbs Up
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic