TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1969 amx door glass lower shoes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1969 amx door glass lower shoes
    Posted: Jul/01/2016 at 6:04pm
Replacing door glass on 1969 amx.  The shoe opening is not consistent.  At the end of the shoes, it's about 3/8 of an inch, in the middle of the shoe, I measure about 1/2 inch.  Does anyone know what the original shoe opening measurements were?  I would like a tight fit when I install new glass.  Got glass from American Parts Depot.
Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks to all.
V/r Taco
Taco
av1956 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2016 at 6:15pm
door glass measures 3/16 of an inch.
Taco
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2016 at 7:59am
I guess you're talking about the groove the glass sits in. You'll probably need to remove all the old adhesive (which isn't easy) then you'll see the groove is consistent in width. Then the shoes will need to be glued back on the glass.

-Steve-
av1956 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2016 at 8:08am
Steve,
Appreciate the response.  Yes it's the channel on the shoe that the glass sits in.  All glue has been removed and it seems the middle is off a little compared to the ends.
Taco
Taco
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2016 at 11:14am
Taco,
 I've seen several glass channels that are bent like yours. I tried to straighten one and it cracked. Moral here, glue the glass back in place using glass shop polyurethane adhesive. It'll fill the space, but be sure to use a spacer in the bottom of the channel to hold the glass about 3/16" off the bottom of the channel. This will keep the glass like it came from the factory and it can be adjusted using the adjusters in the door. I've used a split piece of fuel hose as a spacer.
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2016 at 11:58am
X2 on not trying to straighten the shoes. The metal is a cheap "pot" metal and can crack like an eggshell.  

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
av1956 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2016 at 8:20pm
Will do!  Thanks for the input.
Taco
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic