TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1971 Javelin SST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 20>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 8:25am
Here is a photo of the door tag. I'm not positive, but I think the paint color is snow white. (or Frost white, not sure). Maybe somebody out there knows. And I hadn't realized there were galvanized steel sections used on the car. It's to bad they didn't deep-dip the car in the Lustre-Gard baked acrylic enamel, too. May have eliminated some rust issues.

Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 8:30am
Here is the battery section. You can see where the black primer wasn't covered in body paint. I know the rust has to go, but what's the best way to get rid of it? Sand it down to bare metal?

Top view. It's mostly surface rust. But it is starting to eat into the metal. Confused

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 8:51am
Originally posted by Shannock Shannock wrote:

Here is the battery section. You can see where the black primer wasn't covered in body paint. I know the rust has to go, but what's the best way to get rid of it? Sand it down to bare metal?

Top view. It's mostly surface rust. But it is starting to eat into the metal. Confused

Snow White acrylic.

Only seen one white Javelin in the wild, it was parked along the same street of purchase college, in Santa Clara. It was a 71 as well, with mine be in a 73 at the time.

The only good option to keep some rust away was to have undercoating done when ordering it or by dealer installation, or have a local Z-Bart shop do the car.

The original owner never washed the engine bay. So there is a good thick amount of oily dirt and grease just about everywhere under the hood. Cleaned off some small ereas, and the color and shine makes the outer paint envious, though mud would do that anyhow. The electric blue died long ago, and the PO had done a great job hitting spots with thick coats of primer. If It were not a daily driver, one would have thought It was pulled from a wrecker for parts. Ha!

Mine was z-barted in the rust belt, and a lot of areas show good clean metal with a wee surface rust where It flaked off after the 40 + years since done.

The trouble spots on Javelins, are vinyl tops, rear quarters, rockers, wheel trim areas of body and fender, and troughs under the fenders. Rust loves those areas more than others. Some report the upper trunk panel under the rear window. Never seen It on both Javelins I have owned.

Edited by 304-dude - Jul/21/2017 at 8:56am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 8:55am
There are a lot of good rust conversion, encapsulation or removal products available today. But since that area was exposed to battery (acid) fumes you will want to make sure it its clean as a part of responding to the rust. Wash the area with a baking soda solution and rinse well. Then you can sand it or use scotch brite pads or spot blast it to remove the rust. Coat it in rust encapsulator and prime and paint. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 9:09am
Just realised your Javelin may be an early build, the sticker on the door may have Sept or Oct 1970 build date.

There are some wee differences to the early builds. Door panels not having dips under the door release paddle and lack a upper corner screw (all later builds are different), the kick panels having a slightly different mold, sticker locations may be different or change of label. Date correct water pump, and other accessories, can be a concern, if wanting something more visually unique than many other customised or partially restored cars. Like the Motorola regulator and Alternator both have labels that are in view and can be a bit flashy if wanting a period looking car.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
AmeriMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmeriMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 10:00am
Yes, This is a unique early-build Javelin. There should be a sticker on the driver side door below the door tag that would identify the build month. Do what makes you happy but if it were mine I would restore/preserve it's original condition and paint as much as possible. Maybe just modify with bolt on parts like wheels, etc. I personally prefer the '71 tail lights but, again, that's a bolt on item. Whichever way you go, keep all the original parts.

There are many guys here on the forum who are very knowledgable about '71 Javelin/AMXs. They all are willing to help with info and advise as needed. They can even help locate parts. As the owner of a '71 AMX myself I find this car to be pretty cool. Would be happy to own it.
larue390@comcast.net
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 2:54pm
Thanks for the the help guys, much appreciated.
Here is the sticker from the divers side door.
Plus a piece of paper i found under the carpet.I'll try to get a clearer picture.

The circle imprint is from one of the plastic drain plugs in the floor.

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 9:20pm
That piece of paper is the car build order (build sheet).  Tape it to a piece of bright white paper to improve the contrast to you can read it or hold it up to the light and make note of the letters and numbers.  Put in in a plastic sleeve or laminate it to preserve it and put it with the car's paperwork.  That is a keeper.  There are folks here you can help you decode it if you provide the characters you can read.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
AmeriMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmeriMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2017 at 10:36am
That's really cool that you found the build sheet. That's a real "score" for documenting your car's options. Don't laminate it. Just put it in a protective sleeve.
larue390@comcast.net
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2017 at 7:53pm
I was looking at the vinyl roof and noticed that there are no seams on the A-pillars.  I'm not sure if I should try and remove it now, or wait until a future date. I noticed some bubbling underneath.

This is the drivers side. Seems like they wasted  a lot of vinyl top doing it this way. 

It looks like they were in a hurry when they did this seam.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 20>
  Share Topic