TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 101>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2018 at 8:18pm
Yes it is Frank...!!! I actually think it's a big step up from tent camping. I've got a 2 burner propane stove, fridge, sink, potable water tank, propane heater and I can plug it in to that electric bush and have all the electricity that I could possibly use...!!! LOL
And I don't have to pack a tent...!!! 

Got back at this today. Should have it ready for another coat of 2K tonight and shoot it in the morning. 

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2018 at 5:21pm
That didn't go as planned.. Ouch
Not only are the 72 Gremlin torque link a one year part, so are the bolts that go through the frame...!!! 
I had thought that I had found some through Fastenal but they sent regular 5/8" bolts. They are too small. 
Since I've already made the brackets to fit the one bolt that I have and welded everything in, I am kind of at the point where I have to use the original size of bolt. I am afraid if I use the smaller sized bolt, things will not last. Just too much slop. 
So, if anyone out there has a pair of 41/64"x18x7" grade 8 bolts.... I will pay you good money for them..!! 
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2018 at 8:45pm

Guide coat...!!! Big smile

Blocked and ready for another coat of 2K...!!! Big smile

This is the 4th coat and they've been blocked sanded 3 different times. These came out super smooth. 

I've come to the conclusion that I am NOT going to paint this car in my garage. My garage is just too dirty.(more like filthyOuch) I've found a place that will paint this car and all I have to do is pay for paint and a few supplies. 
I am taking this down to Lewis and Clark State College to their body and paint school that they have there. Don't worry, it's not the students that will do the painting, one of the instructors will do the dirty work. 
I've also decided to pay up and put some nice paint on this car. I am going to go with a 2 stage on the outside. Stuff like the interior, frame, engine compartment will all be a single stage. Haven't changed colors. Still sticking with the Caravelle Blue metallic. 
I feel that I've got way too much time and effort in this to just do a single stage "garage" paint job. Just spent about 5 hours today in these 2 fenders. Last week I spent about the same amount of time on the outside of the doors. Since I have limited space and not enough room to do the hood, doors and fenders with the body in the garage, I have been trying to get the "loose" stuff done before the weather turns for the worse. According to the weather man, I have basically the rest of this week
Hoping to have this painted by Christmas so I can start the confusion of assembly and crossing my fingers to have something by late spring time. 
More battles to continue and we shall over come them all...!!! Big smile
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2018 at 9:58pm
Great job and it sounds like a good plan. Maybe try McMaster Carr for the bolts or Ross Peterson on here, I believe his handle is 401Matador or something similar. Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2018 at 12:10am
Sooooo, what do you charge to do other peoples' cars?  Approve
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2018 at 1:05am
Originally posted by brownspirit brownspirit wrote:

Great job and it sounds like a good plan. Maybe try McMaster Carr for the bolts or Ross Peterson on here, I believe his handle is 401Matador or something similar. Andy

I've already had a chat with Ross over these bolts. He rebuilt the bushings in the ones that I have now. According to him, he stated that somewhere someone might of screwed up from the factory. All of the bushings that he does are for 3/4" bolts. Gremlin..??? Who knows...??? 
I've got something a little different on the way, I'll keep ya posted on what my "bolt guy" gets me. 
The only other option is to try to ream and drill everything out for a 3/4" bolt. That's something that I am trying to avoid at all costs. 
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2018 at 1:11am
Originally posted by Fluffy73 Fluffy73 wrote:

Sooooo, what do you charge to do other peoples' cars?  Approve

Let's wait to see if my body work will stand the test of time first.. LOL
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2018 at 11:18pm
Oh the joy's of working in your garage... 
Yes, that's fresh. And a fresh gnat…. Ouch
Got 2 block sanding's and 2 coats on the hood today. 
Was looking really good till the bug decided to rain on my parade. 

Stood and stared at this for about 5 minutes today with my mouth half opened. 
Couldn't believe how well the roof came out. Big smile
Now the trick is going to be to get the rest of the car as good as the fenders and roof have come out.. 

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2018 at 7:02am
Especially with no gnats or other bugs...
Frank Swygert
blumontag View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blumontag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2018 at 9:43am
Awesome work!
72 Gremlin X
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 101>
  Share Topic