TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Hornet Hatchback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 Hornet Hatchback
    Posted: May/29/2017 at 2:00am
Found this while browsing Portland craigslist. From the photos, the car looked fairly straight, had decent paint, not too bad interior, and was advertised to run and drive.  My dad and I have always wanted to fly somewhere one way to buy a car and drive it back Roadkill style, so we figured this was as good of a time as ever. When we first saw the car in person, the paint was a bit better than we expected, but there was slightly more rust than originally advertised. We were already there with no other way back, and were still happy with the car for the most part, so it was still coming home. We covered the 650 ish miles from Portland to Santa Rosa within two days with a noticeable oil leak being the only issue. 

On the way back headed towards Mount McLoughlin near Meford.

First order of business was changing the valve cover gasket in an attempt to the lessen the oil leak, though the leak coming from the rear main seal will need attention soon.

First glimpse under the valve cover looks pretty good, engine is a 258 believed to come from a mid 70's jeep with sticker on the side of the block claiming it was rebuilt at some point 

Next was purely visual and personal preference, the removal of the splash guards. That Nissan side mirror is also gonna have to go. 

Aside from the front seats (which are factory buckets on the plus side) and house carpet, the interior is not bad all things considered, uncracked dash pad and decent door panels. 

We made the deal for the car about two weeks before actually flying there and driving it back, so looking at the local craigslist I ended up finding some factory V8 hornet parts, which included a V8 crossmember, an AMC 20, and a sport steering wheel with a floor shift steering column 

It's kind of up in the air what I will do with the car, It's not really practical to have two non-daily cars for me at this point, so sometime soon I'll have to decide whether to keep the AMX or the Hornet. The appeal of the Hornet being that it's car I would have no qualms doing modifications to, unlike the AMX, where I have mixed feelings about doing something such as switching from the factory auto to manual. Regardless if I will keep it long term, I'd like to do a front bumper tuck. A front disc conversion is also in mind, considering the manual drums leave something to be desired. 
1972 Javelin
73LevisX View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 73LevisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2017 at 11:58am
Great find!

I picture some 8 Slot Rally Wheels and an X Package Stripe to go with that new steering wheel :)

Keep us posted...
'73 Hornet X
304/904
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2017 at 1:27pm
I vote for the Hornet.... Wink

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Javelin360 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2017 at 1:54pm
Keep both you will regret getting rid of either car.
69 AMX     401/727
74 Javelin 360/727
09 Mustang Supercharged 4.6
14 Wrangler Sport 4X4
18 GMC Sierra
AMoCoLite View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMoCoLite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2017 at 11:08pm
Great find! I just got up here to the PNW...looks like I showed up a smidgeon too late. *ha*
DarkMonohue View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkMonohue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2017 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by phast1 phast1 wrote:

Found this while browsing Portland craigslist.
I think I saw that ad. Glad to see it went to a good home. Even if you can't keep it, at least it's in the system, so to speak.

Originally posted by AMoCoLite AMoCoLite wrote:

I just got up here to the PNW...looks like I showed up a smidgeon too late. *ha*
Welcome, anyway!

phast1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2017 at 11:16pm
Not a whole lot of massive progress, but even though I was cleaning up a blue sport steering wheel and getting it ready for paint, a friend had let me know of a 1979 J10 that had recently arrived at a pick n pull and I was able to get a tan sport steering wheel. Unfortunately, the horn button was already missing.

That J10 also had a 360, but the dipstick showed no oil so the condition is a little questionable, but maybe still worth looking into. 
1972 Javelin
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2017 at 5:39am
Originally posted by phast1 phast1 wrote:

Found this while browsing Portland craigslist. From the photos, the car looked fairly straight, had decent paint, not too bad interior, and was advertised to run and drive.  My dad and I have always wanted to fly somewhere one way to buy a car and drive it back Roadkill style, so we figured this was as good of a time as ever. When we first saw the car in person, the paint was a bit better than we expected, but there was slightly more rust than originally advertised. We were already there with no other way back, and were still happy with the car for the most part, so it was still coming home. We covered the 650 ish miles from Portland to Santa Rosa within two days with a noticeable oil leak being the only issue. 

On the way back headed towards Mount McLoughlin near Meford.

We made the deal for the car about two weeks before actually flying there and driving it back, so looking at the local craigslist I ended up finding some factory V8 hornet parts, which included a V8 crossmember, an AMC 20, and a sport steering wheel with a floor shift steering column 

It's kind of up in the air what I will do with the car, It's not really practical to have two non-daily cars for me at this point, so sometime soon I'll have to decide whether to keep the AMX or the Hornet. The appeal of the Hornet being that it's car I would have no qualms doing modifications to, unlike the AMX, where I have mixed feelings about doing something such as switching from the factory auto to manual. Regardless if I will keep it long term, I'd like to do a front bumper tuck. A front disc conversion is also in mind, considering the manual drums leave something to be desired. 
The first pick is on Blackwell hill, about 3 miles from my house. I'm looking for a amc 20 for my gremlin if you need a good home for yours? Jim
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
2beersmaybe3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2beersmaybe3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2017 at 7:13am
Thats a great looking find. I recently picked up a 73 hatchback also. More than a fair body. No drive train. Great great great interior. I noticed a odd interior quirk tho. In the rear seating area, there is only a ashtray inbthe passenger side. Wondering if they are all this way or why. I could see it only being on the drivers side since most loading/unloading of rear passengers is most likely to happen on the passenger side and I can see someone hitting their knee on itv or something. Ashtrays everywhere in those days. Bet kids seats even had them. Now days they don't put them anywhere.
1963 Classic 770 Cross Country
1964 Classic 660 4door
1964 Classic 770 2 door sedan
401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2017 at 7:31am
Let me know if you need interior paint. I have a quart of correct lacquer in your cinnamon color that I bought for my 73 Matador that I ended up color changing to black.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic