TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

258 in a 61-63 american ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosieramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2019 at 11:30am
A Jeep 2.5 would be neat. Think mini 4.0.....
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2019 at 12:12pm
https://www.google.ca/search?q=jeep+2.5&oq=j&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j69i60j69i61j69i60j0.3826j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Looks like GM bolt pattern from 4 cyl or V6. Put a five speed from an S10 behind it?
g-man View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2019 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by hoosieramc hoosieramc wrote:

A Jeep 2.5 would be neat. Think mini 4.0.....

This is not a bad idea...better than a VW motor anyway.
But you guys are forgetting 2 very important things.
The OP has several 258s already, and good fab skills.
So both of those are his, and free to him.

g-man
AMC only daily driver
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2019 at 3:51pm
The firewall and trans tunnel need some work for a 258, but nothing terribly hard. You lose the factory heater though. ANY other motor will require some motor mount fabrication. WARBED here on the Forum put a 85 2.5L in a 59, which is the same as the 61-63 under the hood except for the firewall and heater design. The carbed 2.5L fits with no metal work. So will the TBI version. The  91-02 port injection intake won't fit without removing the left side hump, and might be tight then. The intake runners are much longer (to increase torque a bit at lower rpm) so the intake sticks out too far from the head. A carb or TBI intake could be modified to carry individual injectors by a machinist though, shouldn't be too hard or costly a job. Looks right at home in a little American!

Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2019 at 12:16am
once i started looking far afield for possible candidates, though modern 4cyls haven't been on my agenda, they now could be. the iron puke that amc used is a lousy engine and just too old and inflexible. the AMC 2.5 is too wide and has it's own issues.

my short list of candidates are:

* toyota 22R and variants (a truly great design, very well supported, many variations)
* the pinto 2.0L (got grerat development after it's terrible intro, and TONS of aftermarket parts cuz it's the center of many racing classes -- check out PegasusAutoRacing.com).
* zetec/ecotec/duratec fully little FWD motors. they all are very narrow and very tall -- and have lots and lots of aftermarket and hotrod parts including carb manis. tho designed for front drive there's bells to turn them into rear drive setups.

all of the above can have competent transmissions attached; the 22R has a bunch of toyo 4 speeds and all have bells available for T5. power to weight for all is insanely good. imagine buying parts at an auto store again.

light, powerful, common, cheap, small, easy to work on, ... 150 hp is easy, 250 with some effort. they all weight something like 300 lbs too. not 600! and you can get them at junkyards and not museums.

Edited by tomj - Feb/03/2019 at 12:18am
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2019 at 10:56am
Only the port injected AMC 2.5L is "too wide" -- due to the intake manifold. The las Ranger 2.3L and 2.5L fours are great choices. I don't know about the Toyota truck EFI fours -- they may have "wide" intakes like the AMC 2.5L. The carbed 22R will work, but the EFI 22R-E (82-95) might again be "too wide" due to the intake and throttle body assembly, this time on the right side. Might require removing the right side hump, but the intake and TB is kind of high on the head... might clear. There is a photo of a typical truck installation on Wikipedia.
Frank Swygert
tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2019 at 11:42am
i'm finding it funny you guys are talking "frankenrambler" in the 6 cyl section ;)
I don't have an issue with it but.....

besides, I don't have a 22r-e OR any of the other stuff mentioned, just the 258's....I COULD make somebody a deal on 1 or both though as I just drug home a 63 Plymouth wagon....

67 american 290/4speed
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2019 at 10:05pm
lol, you're right! wrong section. i guess i slowly drifted OT...

and g-man's post... chop away! chopped out the entire firewall on my '61 and made it more or less flat. this pushed it back nearly 4 inches. and got all the fusty crap off the firewall.

i too have considered 232/258 in the american... but i'm no position to advise against foolish construction projects (they're often the best kind). an electric water pump *might* provide enough space to squeeze a radiator in front.  but it's tight even with the stock engine! i barely squeezed a thin SPAL in front of the radiator (absolutley not gonna go behind) and only after cutting sheet metal in the horizontal part behind the grille.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2019 at 6:23am
I don't mind, just thought it was funny....although the Toyota 22R-E would be my 1st choice

67 american 290/4speed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic