TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

258 turbo install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2019 at 7:31am
Great looking setup! I've seen a couple AMC sixes done this way, not in an Eagle though. Gremlin and American.
Frank Swygert
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2019 at 7:45am
I think this is the route I'll be taking, too. More smiles per dollar. 
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2019 at 7:51am
Nice job!Thumbs UpThumbs Up
The Anti Chrysler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anti Chrysler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2019 at 10:33am
Very cool!
MacGyver View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacGyver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2019 at 10:24pm
Damn, that's cool!!!

It would certainly wake up an Eagle!!!  LOL
You Drive A What?!?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2019 at 7:53am
5 psi theoretically gives about a 33% power boost... figure 28-30% with a few losses due to the length of the tubes and other parasitic losses.
112 hp x .30 = 33.6 (lets call it 34) = 146 hp. That's with an otherwise stock 258. Drop it to 28% and it only drops to 144 (rounding hp up again).
Frank Swygert
racerkilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2019 at 2:40pm
Sounds very close.. Cx racing did a turbo in a cj jeep.. gave me the idea to do this car. Their turbo is one trim smaller and running a two barrel carb and these are their numbers This Kit Makes 138 WHP (to the Wheel), 245 Ft-lbs Torque at 5 PSI Boost, Compare to 72WHP and 133 Ft-lbs Stock Power, It Almost Doubled Factory Power. See Dyno Sheet Below. 

I know still not a ton of power but makes it fun to drive and the noises it makes. I think I will run this until it decided to let go and swap in a 4.0 and run a tad more boost but for now it has been proving very relaible. From -10 start up with no issues to flooding rain today it just works. 
gcunard View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcunard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2019 at 3:44pm
Wondering what a true 4bbl manifold would do for flow characteristics?
racerkilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2019 at 4:23pm
I have been wondering the same thing.. I think with out a header to get the air out its just bottle necked on intake and exhaust. Only thing that keeps me from doing 4 barrel at this point is the oem intake is heated with coolant. I drive this car quite a bit when sub zero and below freezing temps. I don't want a car that is cold blooded for 10/15 miles while trying to get it warmed up and possibly having to retune everything again would take time.   I may give it a shot at some point if I can find a deal on an intake though.

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2019 at 9:14pm
wow, nice work. 30-ish percent increase is very nice! unlikely to break too many things, and nice extra pile of power!
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic