TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

290 Intake

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 245Smoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 290 Intake
    Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 9:39am
I am in the process of trying to change out my lifters on my 69 Javelin with a 290 engine, and I have removed all the bolts on the intake manifold but cannot get it to budge?  I am to assume I do not need to remove the heads to remove the intake manifold?  And on a separate question, I presently have a 2 barrel intake with a 4 barrel  Edelbrock  model 1460, and I am trying to find an intake that will accommodate the
4 barrel carb, does anyone know the model number of an intake manifold?   
245Smoke View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 245Smoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 9:41am
Correction on the carb number, it is  a 1406, not 1460.  Thanks.

White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 9:53am
First off, that cast iron intake is pretty heavy, at least 70 pounds or more depending on what else is bolted to it.

The next thing is,  if some used a ton of RTV the last time it was installed, it can be stuck pretty good.

Of course this assumes you've removed all the fasteners that bolt the manifold to the heads, (Correction) six bolts on each side go into the heads.

A good replacement four barrel intake for a 290 would be either the cast iron factory one available in 68 or 69 from the factory, sorry I don;t have a part number.

Or, Edelbrock makes a performer intake that will bolt to that engine and do a great job for you. There are several other models available like R4B, Torker and RPM Airgap from Edelbrock and one other available from Holley IIRC.  There are also tunnel rams and two four barrel intakes available too.

Remember the 68/69 engines have rectangular exhaust port heads that changed to Dogleg exhaust port heads in 1070 and later, This means that the 70 and later intake manifolds will need the two center holes elongated to fit onto a 68 or 69 set of heads.

Check the for sale section on this forum, or accumulate 30 or more posts on this forum and place an add in the wanted section. Ebay is another source as well as Craigslist.

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Jun/18/2018 at 10:12am
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 9:58am
It isn't at all uncommon for the intake to be stuck to the heads, some gentle use of a pry-bar in-between the block and the intake usually breaks things loose.

Edelbrock still makes an intake for 67-69 V8s, the Air-Gap #7530. Or you can keep a look out for older aftermarket or factory 67-69 4bbl intakes.

I recommend against slotting holes from a later intake to fit 1969 heads. The later intakes are slightly wider by a tiny amount, but enough to cause a vacuum leak.
It also isn't uncommon for the slotted holes to leak oil.

Edited by akimmet - Jun/18/2018 at 10:04am
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 10:04am
...and there are _6_ bolts per side.  Should be a significant gap at the front and rear with a thick rubber seal, so you can get a pry bar in that gap.

White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 10:13am
Originally posted by BassBoat BassBoat wrote:

...and there are _6_ bolts per side.  Should be a significant gap at the front and rear with a thick rubber seal, so you can get a pry bar in that gap.

Yeah Yeah, dunno what I was thinkin, I know better, Mondays suck....

Anyway I corrected my post.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 12:45pm
When I was a teen, doing my first intake maifold swap in the street,
there was two of us working together pulling intake bolts out.

One of us left one in by accident and all the forearm strength in the world couldn't remove that chunk of cast iron. Confused

A friend came along and saw one bolt, covered in grease and oil, was still in.

Intake came right off after that

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 7:16pm
Two points.

As previously described, the dang thing weighs 70~lbs.

6 bolts per side, do count the holes.

Even if liberally gooped up the manifold will fairly easily lift off.
The valley pan gaskets do not stick that well.

Not all of us can lift 70 lbs of stuck manifold at arms reach.
I have many years of lifting weights at the Y and still find a challenge.

If you are sure that all the bolts are out you can use a hoist or try prying
under the front of the manifold. The seal is soft and a thin
pry bar or a fat screwdriver will easily push through.

Unless you are doing a restoration replace that old iron manifold
with a good dual pane like a performer.

The old intake makes a great mooring anchor for a small boat.
Gremlin Dreams
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 7:26pm
A couple of years ago, I weighed a bare 1970 four barrel intake at 52 pounds.
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 7:37pm
I stand corrected.

The 290 intake should weigh about 50~

EGR manifolds are a tad over 70.

I have two, a 304 2V and a 1975 401 4V

Both are 70 give or take.

Aluminum intakes vary a bit but I bet most at are under 15 lbs.

Gremlin Dreams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic