TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

401 rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odd401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 401 rebuild
    Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 7:36pm
just dropping 401 in again,it ran for about 5 minutes and shelled the cam gear,dist gear barely has any damage,pulled it back out ,had the shop come get it last week,made them bring it back to me today,they did not start it,should i continue installing it?i paid to have it pre ran and be present during,didnt happen,they pre ran it and charged me 300 bucks,asked to pre run this time and was told they wont do it again.what would you do?thanks
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 7:41pm
Original timing cover or aftermarket replacement?  Also, what brand cam/dist gears did they install?  Hopefully they did not re-use the cam gear and installed a matched set.
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
68-73 amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 68-73 amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 7:51pm
I would start it like a never run motor,oil change with right oil. Are your sure there's no oiling problem's in the front of the motor?Gear's getting oil, Distributor too far up or down ? Oil pathways to gears clear of obstructions, lined up right? What did shop do? Might want pull front cover off to recheck.

Edited by 68-73 amx - Oct/15/2014 at 7:54pm
Airdrie AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Airdrie AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 10:51pm
I would want to know from them the cause of the damage and what they did to correct it. We all know there are bad aftermarket timing covers, bad dist. gears (msd) and timing sets that have the oil slot in the wrong location etc... Hopefully they didn't just throw another gear in there and kick it out the door, if it were me I would find out first what was done before wasting time dropping the motor back in.
72 amx javelin 401 4spd
odd401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odd401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 3:44am
Angryits an original cover,not sure if it is off one of the 360's sitting my garage.has the same casting number as the other one they cracked,top locating pin,i already had an external line to the cam and dist.gears,had them install the one under the intake,when i picked it up the first time he said gears looked fine,not true,he used the gear that came with the dist,and a new msd cam gear,lasted 5 minutes,i schooled him on some of the tricks to get it right,asked to have other tech,the guy that originally built it to work on and was told he wasnt available.they installed msd cam and dist. gear,new oil pump gears and the other oil pump adapter that i ported,and surfaced the face,other one is trashed, almost ready to start it,im gonna turn it over without spark,pull the dist out and check gear patter,wish me luck
odd401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odd401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 6:22pm
Cryi fired it up,ran for 5 minutes,pulled dist.gears looked fine,wear pattern in the middle of both,runs really rich,reset the floats,test drove 10 miles,every stop almost died,shut it off and it barely started again,smoke out the pipe,oil and gas.no power at all.shop that built it,just towed it to another shop.over 3 grand and havent done a burnout.im at a lossDead
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 9:06pm
Replace the carb with a brand new one so you know what you have.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

odd401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odd401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 7:25pm
Deadi just picked my truck from machine shop,what a waste of three grand,has no power at all,wont even do a burnout.completely drained my bank on this one,i dont understand  it,ran pretty strong before this,im about to give up on it
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by 69 ambassador 390 69 ambassador 390 wrote:

Replace the carb with a brand new one so you know what you have.
x2.
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 8:10pm
Or borrow one and try it out.
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic