TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

62 Rambler classic fuse panel cat find

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 44824 djupstrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 62 Rambler classic fuse panel cat find
    Posted: Sep/23/2012 at 8:21pm
i cant locate my fuse panel ive own the car for going on 3 years now and still nothing im just working on trebuilding the motor so if i could get help that would be great.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2012 at 8:41pm
There's no fuse panel.  Several of the circuits (actually I think all of the lighting circuits) are powered through the headlight switch which one or two circuit breakers built into it.  The I think there is a separate inline breaker for the turnsignal switches.  There is an inline fuse for the radio I think .  There may be others.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
44824 djupstrom View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 44824 djupstrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2012 at 9:15pm
now what about the wiper motor
nali View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 2:57am
Vaccum I suppose ?
Open, clean, grease it, change the eventual dead reeves with a piece of rubber from a bike tire and a pop rivet, close and forget it for the next 10 years :)

No more car :)
Maybe a 1965 Ambassador Coupé someday .. If I can find a cheap one.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 5:26pm
I made a post about the wiper motor already. At 40-50 years old the thing needs replacing (rebuilding) already! The open and grease thing works with a 20-30 year old motor, but in my experience it won't last another 10 years -- ONE, maybe two. The seal on the "flapper" can't be easily replaced. It's leather, not rubber, but the real problem is that the flapper has a valve or two in it. If they are bad or not reassembled correctly the motor will no longer work. The guys who rebuild them replace the flapper assembly, I don't think they attempt to rebuild it, but maybe they just replace those valves too...
Frank Swygert
nali View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 8:51pm
About this vacuum wiper, I ve always wondered what the guys had smoked or drink before using the strange bolts keeping the 2 parts together.
I ve never seen this kind of screw on anything else.
They are a pain to unscrew, until you make a dedicated tool, from a dead screwdriver, rod bar or anything else and a Dremel.
I ve been driving my Ambo as a daily for about 4 or 5 years , and even in winter snow in Canada, it WORKS.
Grease make miracles.

Edited by nali - Sep/25/2012 at 8:53pm
No more car :)
Maybe a 1965 Ambassador Coupé someday .. If I can find a cheap one.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 12:07pm
You've got a good motor that may have been rebuilt at some point -- or did YOU replace the leather gasket around the "flapper" with rubber? I'll reiterate the main problem with that -- the valve in the flapper can go bad or not be reassembled correctly. If it leaks or doesn't work the motor won't. The valve switches vacuum from one side to the other as the flapper reaches one side or the other of the housing.

I agree with you about those screws! Think of them as 1930s "star" bits... Only qualified mechanics would buy the special tools to work on them. A pair of pliers will work, many of us have done that, but making a tool sure would be a big help.
Frank Swygert
cantleyg1 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantleyg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2013 at 10:06pm
If its the fuse panel you need, I believe it is up under the dash to the left of the steering wheel, it is way up in there.  That is where it was on my 1964.  I had to lay on my back with a flashlight to find the darn thing.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2013 at 7:11am
There is no fuse panel on the 62 Classic. There is a circuit breaker, but it's not part of the headlight switch. The breaker is a rectangular metal box a bit smaller than the turn signal flasher. It should be close to the flasher. Five or six circuits are fed from it. The light switch has a built-in circuit breaker for the light circuits.

63 was the first year a small fuse panel was used.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic