TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

63 Classic strut rod bushings HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlezama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 63 Classic strut rod bushings HELP!
    Posted: Jul/24/2016 at 7:53pm
Hi: Im working on my 63 Classic and I have found out in my shop manual that the strut rod bushing is a single metal/rubber tack-weld on part. 

However, in my car, the strut rod support bracket has a tacked welded metal part in place, but the rubber bushing is a two-piece set (one coming from the back and one from the front of the bracket, such as the later Ramblers). They are heavily damaged and seem to have an internal metal core each. Did someone do a handiman special there??

Worse part: Ive been checking on original strut rod bushings in APD and Kennedy, but they specify 5/8 and 11/16 inner diameters. My strut rods are just a fraction over 3/4 inches in diameter in the bushing area!! What is going on here? Any info on these rods will be totally appreciated!!

Basically going nuts over this issue. Thanks friends!
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2016 at 9:14pm
I just ordered and received a set for my 64 Classic. I think what they are referring to is the size of the thread diameter which on mine I think is 5/8" There is a metal bushing that goes over the threads and the rubber parts go over the bushing. I don't know if 63 and 64 are the same but if they are, measure across the threads.
dlezama View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlezama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2016 at 8:06am
Thanks! I understand 63 and 64 are same. I would hope on what you say, but my tacked on metal shell is well over 1 inch in diameter, maybe 1 1/2. 

The smooth, unthreaded part of my rod (where the bushing will have to go either way) is about 13/16, and the threaded part only has space for the washer and castle nut, and is about 11/16, but then nothing goes there.

I got a set of poly bushings from APD but they dont even go over the thread.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2016 at 11:59am
Mine were P/N 11207.

It really sounds like yours is different. I have the strut with large metal washer (maybe part of the strut). Against that goes one of the rubber bushings with metal spacer inside. That goes in from the back side and another rubber bushing goes on, then large metal washer and nut.

There are no tack welded parts. I will try and get a pic by tonight of the original assembly. I haven't installed the new rubber pieces yet.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2016 at 12:05pm
Why don't you post a pic of what yours looks like and maybe someone can figure it out?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2016 at 6:31am
It sounds like someone modified the early strut rods to accept the late model bushings (like I did on mine) or modified late model strut rods to fit the early car. The one piece bushings are no longer available AFAIK, and NOS/NORS ones will quickly disintegrate under use due to age. If yours have an adjusting nut in front of the front bushing it has been modified to the newer type bushing. Just get a set of bushings for a 80s Concord/Spirit and you're good. Sounds like someone welded a front stop in a new position so you could use the two piece bushing rather than use an adjusting nut. Those may be fabricated arms. I cut a pair of old and new arms in the center then welded together. A pro welder can do that -- the arms are forged -- but not something you want to try unless you have a good welding machine (high amp, not a little 110V MIG) and know what to do.

If you have the stock control arms (there is a large stop made onto them), you can cut a urethane front bushing down and use it with a rubber half in the back. This "half and half" busing works, but the urethane bushing is much harder than stock and you will feel jarring through the floor when hitting pot holes. On good roads it's not an issue, of course, just a little more road vibration.  Rubber isn't strong enough to hold shape if cut down and the stop will push through. I ran the half-n-half bushing for over a year before I modified my strut rods. Didn't like the jarring, roads on the MS Gulf Coast are pretty rough... even some of the good ones. Not there any more, but rural SC has lots of dirt roads and rougher secondary roads... so same issue.  Rubber is used for the back because the harder urethane bushings in front and rear bind the strut rod and limit reaction time and range of motion. The rubber back half reduces the restrictions some.
Frank Swygert
dlezama View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlezama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2016 at 9:18am
My strut rods had the bushing still attached! It was so stuck I wasnt able to distinguish it. Thanks for your concern, folks! My best!
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2016 at 12:04pm
FYI I looked at the box my bushings came in and it is labeled 64-66 Rambler.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2016 at 5:57am
I've never seen a two piece bushing made for the 64-66 (63-66) models. The only ones I've seen are for the adjustable strut rods, which came out in 67 or so. I don't think the 65-66 models had them, but I might be wrong. May have been a mid to late 64 change? Even then the one piece bushing was still available as a heavy duty option. All the one piece bushings I've tried to use were old stock, either AMC or aftermarket, and they split on installation and didn't last long. There was a one piece HD bushing made for early Eagles also, but it's thicker in front than the early models.

The adjustable strut rods have a nut on both sides of the bushing, the early models have a built in non-moveable stop in front, nut in back.
Frank Swygert
dlezama View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlezama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2016 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

I've never seen a two piece bushing made for the 64-66 (63-66) models. The only ones I've seen are for the adjustable strut rods, which came out in 67 or so. I don't think the 65-66 models had them, but I might be wrong. May have been a mid to late 64 change? Even then the one piece bushing was still available as a heavy duty option. All the one piece bushings I've tried to use were old stock, either AMC or aftermarket, and they split on installation and didn't last long. There was a one piece HD bushing made for early Eagles also, but it's thicker in front than the early models.

The adjustable strut rods have a nut on both sides of the bushing, the early models have a built in non-moveable stop in front, nut in back.

Correct! But APD has the poly bushings made for the earliest, non-adjustable struts in replacement of the one-piece weld-on. The weld-on metal shell remains in place in the bracket, and the bushings go fore and aft, fit inside the shell, and have a metal bushing at the core, the one that I thought was part of the rod...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic