TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

63-66 Cowl Floor Repair (above heater)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2016 at 12:45pm
Somewhere on my photobucket I have a pic of mine.
I just welded sheet steel across the cowl under the windshield. (Inside the car)
When that was done I rolled it up to hit the vertical intersection of the firewall and form a new cowl floor.
I made sure the is a nice clear slope so any water goes straight down the kick panel opening where it is supposed to go.

Mine is a 65 Convertible, I have very little interest in A/C and will probably go with one of the small "mojave" or similar heat boxes that pull from inside. 

One thing to to consider and it is off topic is Seat heaters! I have them stock in my 2012 Lancer and they would help get  rid of the chilly car feeling. Kits can be bought cheaply, you will want to up your alternator and battery for those, I think...

I never thought about Franks Idea, but it would work with the stock box. Just make sure you have a shut off valve in your heater hoses or you will roast from the heat rolling out from under the dash in the summer.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2016 at 8:12am
The stock thermostatic valve has a flow control that will turn all the way off. The thermostatic part just controls flow a bit, never did understand exactly how that thing was supposed to work since you could turn the flow all the way off and how far the valve was open with the cable. I think it just doesn't allow the valve to open all the way even when the cable is all the way in the "hot" position until the coolant gets good hot, but I'm not sure. The things leak over time, and I replace with a more modern valve that is a simple on/off valve... flow controlled by how far the valve is opened/closed.

So you have no heater opening in your cowl floor at all. If you want a little fresh air in you can always crack a kick-panel vent, but these old cars leak enough air that I don't think it will be a problem! On really hot days it's still nice to have AC in a convertible -- uncomfortable riding around with the top down and the sun beating down on you! Shady country roads would still be nice, I could take being a bit warm then. If the budget allows you would be better off to install AC, especially if you might want to sell it later. Would be an easier sell, but then a Vintage Air system wouldn't be hard to install later either.

If you want to add your photos and a write-up to this thread feel free to do so!
Frank Swygert
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2018 at 8:37am
Just added something to bump this up, since I've had a couple inquiries about the repair.
Might be a good idea to make this a sticky. Cowl floors in other AMCs are similar, as is the repair, but I don't know of any patch panels made for any other model cowl floors.

Edited by farna - Nov/26/2018 at 8:40am
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic