TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

64 Classic 4 inch headlamps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 64 Classic 4 inch headlamps
    Posted: Mar/18/2019 at 2:15pm
Okay,

Moby the Rambler is ready for his new headlamps as part of the reburb I am trying to complete.  I am replacing all the old headlamps with halogen Phillips lamps 5006C1.  The problem is that the male tangs on the headlamps are too long for the Rambler sockets and there is a little nub on each male tang to keep you from inserting the lamp tangs deeper into the socket anyway.  This leaves about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of exposed tags outside the socket which I am not comfortable with.  I can't find any installation information on the internet about these lamps.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Are these indeed correct lamps for the Rambler?  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2019 at 8:52pm
Hey Guys,

Never mind.  I reconsidered the issue and decided to use the halogen lamps as is.  The exposed portion of the tangs/prongs will be shielded by the headlamp retainer. I suppose in a heavy rain or with deep puddles there is the potential for short circuiting but the breaker in the headlamp switch should deal with that.  Joe
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2019 at 9:10pm
Joe I was just getting ready to share that the ring covers.  I have added relays and fuse to the circuit for mine. My concern was the extra current draw on the switch
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2019 at 10:53am
I am considering a set of relays too.  Thanks.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 6:16am
If the exposed areas concern you just cover with a short length of heat-shrink tubing. Electrical tape will work, but would likely come off over time.
Frank Swygert
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 11:13am
Are you still running the original alternator and is it a Motorola? That must have been the first year for them.

I had to put relays in my truck because the wires are so thin and wanted to get the headlights closer to the source. The Rambler wiring is definitely heavier.

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2019 at 4:25pm
Yep, it has the 33 amp (I think) Motorola and I donated my old one to a car club member and got a rebuilt one from an online seller (Sorry BillD.)   I was impressed because the rebuilder included a performance graph from from the proof test after the rebuild.  It puts out more than the rated power, but not by much.
Joe
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic