TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

64 rambler 660 classic ignition issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chippewa26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 64 rambler 660 classic ignition issue
    Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 1:44pm
I just picked up this car, was a barn find. This car turns over but no spark. The issue I am having is the yellow ignition wire is connected to the positive side of coil which is correct. On negative side I have condensor wire and a blue wire, which I am not sure where it goes. Also in the 2 wire harness where the yellow ignition wire is, there is a green wire, just hanging there, can anyone tell me where that is supposed to go? This is the 196 6 cyl. I greatly appreciate the help in advance!! Super excited to get this thing up and running!!
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 3:22pm
Someone has made wiring mods.  There should only be TWO wires on the coil.  The yellow to the positive and a wire from the negative to the distributor.  You'll have to trace that blue wire back and find out where it goes.  The same with the green wire.  On my '64 Classic 660 the only blue wire in the engine compartment went to the oil pressure sending unit.  
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
chippewa26 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chippewa26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 3:52pm
Ok thanks. Was your yellow wire by itself, the green wire is in the harness and drops down just below the coil with the end stripped.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 4:26pm
I took a quick look at mine today and there is a green wire and only a green wire that goes to trigger the starter solenoid. That is not counting the battery cable and other big cable connected at the big post.

I was looking because I had installed Petronix and will be wanting to ensure I get the full 12V to the coil.

The Canadian models might be wired differently but I think if you have power at the yellow to the coil it should go. Like rocklandrambler says the negative of the coil goes to the distributor. If it has been sitting for many years the condenser may have given up.

AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chippewa26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 4:31pm
Ok, thanks. Yeah this car has been sitting in a dry barn for last 30 years. It has 25,000 original miles on it!! I was thinking of replacing points and condensor.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 6:13pm
I have a 1964 wiring diagram which can be read with a magnifying glass and your tongue tucked into your cheek.
The yellow wire goes to the + side of the coil. The wiring going to the - side of the coil is the same wire that comes out of the side of the distributor and goes to the points and it is usually black. And as some one said the blue wire or A blue wire goes to the oil pressure sending unit. There is green wire mentioned that seems to go to a starter solenoid but at this point in time that is a bit vague in direction. A bit more information might be needed to firm it up some.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 7:49pm
25000 original miles, you should be able to get another hundred out of it. Torque the head bolts 60 ft lbs., torque the axle hubs about 150/200 then to the next hole, grease the front end. Auto or manual? If manual take it easy on that clutch and transmission.

You will probably want to redo brake cylinders and change all the hoses, belt and fluids.

SMS in Oregon will have original upholstery material if you need it but expect to wait a very long time for it.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 7:57pm
Confirm that with the key on, you have 12 volts to the positive side of the coil (yellow wire).  If so, c;eam or replace the points and replace the condenser.  It should then fire at least, if not start.  If there is a blue wire in the ignition harness let it dangle for now.  I think it is associated with an overdrive harness, but I'm not sure.  My car runs fine with that wire disconnected.  There is also the green wire that I think you mentioned, (with a longer lead) that should go to the oil pressure sender.  It is very important that the points are clean and with the car having sat as long as you stated, you can bet that they are oxidized.  A points file (which most of us don't have.) or a rough piece of paper or a think piece of cardboard can clean them good enough.  I recommend that you get a service manual for your car.  It will have the wiring diagrams you need.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chippewa26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 8:36pm
Thanks everyone for the help!! Does anyone know where the resistor is on these things, the only resistor I found is a round one that says 75 ohm from Motorola, pink wire on one side, orange on the other.
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chippewa26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 9:04pm
Joe, I have 12 volts at the + on the coil, I also tested contact at points also 12 volts. The contacts however were gross! I used a striker from a matchbox and got some grey crud off them. Gonna see if I have spark tomorrow after work. I did leave the blue and green wires off and alone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic