TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68-70 AMX REAR WHEEL STUDS SPECS HELP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68-70 AMX REAR WHEEL STUDS SPECS HELP
    Posted: Dec/08/2018 at 10:11pm
I need to get some longer rear wheel studs for my 69 AMX with the stock rear drums. I know they are 1/2-20 thread, but don't know correct knurl size. Dorman says .624, Moser offers .625, though the front studs may be different than the rears. Anyone know the correct knurl size for the rear studs? Are the fronts the same as the rears? Anyone used longer ones that worked (ARP, Moser, etc)? Any help appreciated. 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2018 at 1:51am
I've done this. I pressed out the studs (mine I had to cut off a crimped over portion) and took them to NAPA, where I used to annoy there counter guy and got him to let me look through the book to find the matching length and knurl pattern for long replacements. worked out great, but I needed the catalog.

fronts are very often different than rears. you're right int hat the thread is always 1/2-20 for AMC but there are many press-in sizes and styles. sone "wrong" ones will probably work too (eg. you don't really need to swage them into the hub, press-fit is fine). 

maybe AMXs are standardized enough to be predictable to order without seeing what's installed. that's not been my experience with the econoboxes, where you sort of never know what was installed -- or what has happened to the car in the half century it was on the road!

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2018 at 11:16am
Contact Galvin's. Galvin's carries the correct wheel studs for AMXs. Do not know if he carries longer wheel studs than stock length. I was at his Lodi, Ca shop when his wheel stud supplier paid a visit. He gave me a wheel stud for my 68 AMX front rotor/hub. The head of the wheel stud reads SAE1102/ 29136 with a big letter H and is 1-3/4" long. Galvin's supplier may be able to get the stud in a longer length. Worth a call.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
amxess View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2018 at 12:03pm
I figured rears are different than fronts. Checked some AMC vendor sites and only offer stock length on websites. May have to press out and bring to parts store (only a couple where people have a clue). Was hoping to just order from Jegs. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic