TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 AMX vacuum fuel pump combo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 AMX vacuum fuel pump combo
    Posted: Jan/15/2018 at 3:55pm
I sent my fuel pump out to then and now to get rebuilt it's a vacuum pump fuel pump combo my question is the vacuum has two lines coming out of it one goes to the vacuum wipers where does the other one go and do both lines create vacuum thanks
Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2018 at 4:01pm
In and out for fuel. In addition there is in and out for vacuum. On my 67 a vacuum line goes from the vacuum of the intake manifold to the fuel pump and then to the wiper motor. The pump is not the sole source of vacuum.

Bruce Clarkson
Bruce Clarkson
Dirtydog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2018 at 4:05pm
Do both of those vacuum lines create vacuum
Dirtydog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2018 at 4:08pm
I had both vacuum lines connected to the wiper motor which I found out afterwards was wrong hope I didn't hurt it I assume that one went to the back of the wiper motor or the side the other went to the intake manifold wasn't sure if they both created vacuum
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2018 at 9:22pm
Vacuum wipers are a bit of an odd duck. Not only does it use the vacuum pump on top of the fuel pump it also connects to the PCV line in the back of the carb spacer.

Here are a few pics of the vacuum wiper setup that was on my old '70 AMX. Hope it helps.

-Steve-

maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2018 at 4:32am
69 and 70 use the same pump for vacuum wipers from the ones I have seen which is different than the 67 and 68 pump which has the fuel filter in the pump. This makes the 68 dual action pump a one year only item for Javelin and AMX.

Note from the pictures Steve posted how much space the vacuum portion uses. Try that with power steering like on my Javelin. Really hard to work on.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
Dirtydog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2018 at 6:48am
Thanks the pictures were really helpful the only difference with mine is I Have a Holly carb I don't think that will make a difference and I have the vacuum canister for the brakes but everything else is identical
Dirtydog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2018 at 6:52am
Sorry took a closer look at the pictures mine is pretty much the same I have a torker high-rise manifold so the input for the vacuum brake canister is in a different location on yours
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2018 at 8:37pm
Beautiful engine compartment there Rebel Machine. Concours ready !
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic