TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'69 BBO AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 60>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Someassemblyrqd Someassemblyrqd wrote:

Who performed the rechrome on your brake light housing?  Greg

Metro Plating in Mesa, AZ. I think I was quoted $250 each. I haven't picked them up yet but it's the same company Dan Curtis uses for his cars and he recommends them.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

crossramrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossramrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 11:12am
 Can't wait to see this done in Vegas you have done a lot of work in short time......Jim
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2014 at 11:38pm
Well, we got off to a roaring start, but my paint and body guy has run into some personal problems and won't be available to finish the job. The plan now is to move the car down to Dan Curtis' shop at AMC Muscle Cars in Phoenix.  Dan's guys have already finished rebuilding the original 390 for me (it was not in the car when I bought it) so it makes sense to have him take over the paint and body work and install the motor as well.  I must admit to feeling better that I will have someone with Dan's AMC experience doing the work.

Meanwhile, I have a lot of parts rebuilt and ready to go back on the car when it's ready.  Seat frames have been repaired, media blasted and painted and are now at the upholsterers getting new foam and covers from Legendary Interiors installed.

Valley Spring in Phoenix made us some new leaf springs to original specs.

For those who asked earlier, I've finally figured out that my rear diff is a 3.54 posi. 

Next up I'll be tackling the steering gear and rebuilding the power steering pump.  All the rest of the suspension pieces have already been blasted & painted, or replaced, in the case of the pitman/steering arms and tie rods. 

I finally scored an original '69 steering wheel (the one in the car was from a later model Javelin).  Though the one I found is in decent shape, I'm going to send it to Rim Blow Buddies in Phoenix to be rebuilt.

Hopefully I'll have photos showing some progress with my next post.

Edited by CamJam - Jun/16/2014 at 11:48pm

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2014 at 1:14pm
Well, after a long time of getting nowhere we're finally seeing a little more progress. The seats are done.  Still need to get some new covers for the headrests, but otherwise they're finished.  A lot of work went into repairing springs, blasting and painting the frames, and it's nice to know it was done right even if nobody will ever see the nice new paint on the seat frames.

The rear diff has now been blasted and painted... just waiting for a couple more parts to arrive to put the new brake shoes and hardware in:

On Friday the body is going to Dan Curtis' shop to have him take over the body and paint work.  The front suspension pieces have been blasted and repainted with new bushings, rebuilt trunnions, etc. I have the new rear leaf springs now, and it's all ready to go back on the car whenever Dan and Steve get the body to that point.

I still need to rebuild the power steering pump and go through the steering gear, and the T10 is going this week to a local transmission shop to have them check it out and replace seals.

Edited by CamJam - Jul/14/2014 at 8:48pm

AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2014 at 6:40pm
I have been following this thread and gives me encouragement to keep my a$$ in gear. You mentioned you got a Performer manifold for it. The one in your picture next to the 390 is a EDL #7531 for a 1970 or newer block which have a taller deck height. The 68-69 AMX 390 uses a EDL #7530. Some builders shave the 360-401 intake .30" to get them to fit. I have read several times on the forum the year of the block (deck height) determines which manifold to use. Note: The 1970 390 has a taller deck height than the 68-69 AMC 390, therefore uses a wider intake manifold. Also, the center holes on the 1970 intake are higher up and not in line with the rest.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2014 at 7:39pm
I'm not sure if the manifold in the photos is the one we ended up using, but the manifold I used is a Performer, and we installed '70 dog-led heads on my '69 motor (the one big concession I've made to originality).  The manifold did require machining in any case.

Edited by CamJam - Jul/14/2014 at 8:37pm

ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2014 at 8:14pm
Looking real good, CamJam! That's going to be a beauty! You'll be glad you didn't take shortcuts.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
709karl View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 709karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2014 at 11:04am
Great, interesting posts.  With such a few big bad cars actually made, it amazes me how many of these cars seem to pop up here and there.  Maybe it's just that I'm aware of them or else some are bogus. Keep up the good work we need em'. 
Life is too short to own a car that isn't green..BBG 69 AMX, Green 68 AMX
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2014 at 11:34am
Looking good CamJam, too bad about your original body guy. I'm sure Dans shop will do a world class job for you.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2014 at 11:38am
Beautiful car, Karl! BBG would have been my first choice, but I think I was extremely lucky to find any BB car. I just happened to see it on Craigslist and knew I had to snag it before someone else did.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 60>
  Share Topic