TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'69 Javelin SST on Budget

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 53>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2014 at 9:19pm
Thanks. Don't get me wrong, I've always enjoyed tinkering with carbs and there's just something about a muscle car with a Holley... However, these days the aftermarket is making it easier and easier to add the modern reliability of electronically controlled fuel delivery and spark control to our beloved, old iron blocks. And with simple handhelds and more user friendly computer tuning software, most any backyard mechanic with a good understanding of what's going on inside a combustion engine can apply that knowledge to EFI tuning and succeed. At least that's what they say. I'm hoping to test that out myself very soon!
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
Zioamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zioamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2014 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Red20 Red20 wrote:

Speaking of free flow manifolds and headers, I cannot for the life of me figure out what will actually fit without issues. Considering the fact I'm putting a Gen3 engine with stock heads in a '69 big body car, what will clear everything?
got free flows on my 68 javelin and have no issues at all...........have fun with it nice car to start with
      .....1969 Sc/Rambler....
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 5:38pm
Manifolds are gonna be expensive to have shipped out to Hawaii... I was hoping some headers I can get on Amazon in a bigger order for better shipping would work out.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 11:23pm
Ok, question about water pumps:

I'm moving over all of my bracketry from the 290 that was in the Javelin to the 360 in order to maintain the A/C the car had from the factory.  That said, I need to order a water pump.  There were different lengths through the years, yes?  In that case, has anyone had any luck with a particular brand pump for a Gen2 AMC engine?  I've read about all kinds of issues with aftermarket water pumps for our cars.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 11:58pm

In the interest of getting back to the budget part of the budget build, I'm looking at what to do for exhaust.  A $700 set of ceramic coated headers is out of the question.  There is a guy with a cleaned up a painted set of free flow manifolds for sell on EBay that I'm considering.  And just today I came across Patriot Exhaust, part of Pertronix.  I notice they have a set of headers called Clippster Headers that appear to dump out right at the stock locations.  My exhaust appears to be in good shape, so I could give those a try and not have to do to much work to the downpipes.  Anyone have experience with these? - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pte-h8600/overview/year/1969/make/american-motors/model/javelin

Note:  I looked through the footnotes on these in their catalog and verified they are dog leg headers.  Pictures don't always match the product.  And since they come up as an option for a '69 Javelin, I had to be sure.  The ceramic coated ones go for $425.97 on Summit. 

Edited by Red20 - Oct/22/2014 at 12:02am
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 11:18am
Any rust?  Doesn't look like it has much, if any.  Makes me jealous, lol.
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Red20 Red20 wrote:

In the interest of getting back to the budget part of the budget build, I'm looking at what to do for exhaust.  A $700 set of ceramic coated headers is out of the question.  There is a guy with a cleaned up a painted set of free flow manifolds for sell on EBay that I'm considering.  And just today I came across Patriot Exhaust, part of Pertronix.  I notice they have a set of headers called Clippster Headers that appear to dump out right at the stock locations.  My exhaust appears to be in good shape, so I could give those a try and not have to do to much work to the downpipes.  Anyone have experience with these? - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pte-h8600/overview/year/1969/make/american-motors/model/javelin

Note:  I looked through the footnotes on these in their catalog and verified they are dog leg headers.  Pictures don't always match the product.  And since they come up as an option for a '69 Javelin, I had to be sure.  The ceramic coated ones go for $425.97 on Summit. 

The Patriot Exhaust headers (above) dump in the exact same place as the free flow manifolds and will fit the Javelin chassis with no problem!

Dennis 
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 9:13pm
It's fairly rust free, especially since it's been in Hawaii for the last 25 years.  The hood is rusting through the paint and there is some light surface rust on the rear chrome bumper.  Otherwise it's extremely solid.

Does anyone run 235/60R15 front and rear?  I just ordered a set and from all of the google image and theamcforum research I've done, I think I'll like them. 

I also just made a large order last night of parts to button up the engine and fuel system.  I still need to pick up an MSD 6 series box, Quick Fuel QFI system, all new brake parts, water pump and other accessories, and lots of other odds and ends.  I was gonna go all out on the suspension as well, but have just decided to replace all of the bushings and possibly rebuild the trunnions and install ADDCO sway bars front and rear.  That should keep me satisfied for the time being.

Anyone have any info on water pumps?  I'm putting all of the 290 bracketry and accessories on the 360.

Also, any advice on rebuilding the brake system?  I have drums all around they're all frozen up solid.
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2014 at 7:05pm
You are darn lucky. I just got finished swapping over the driver's side frame rail/inner fender/fender trough from my parts car to my personal car, due to rot in the frame....

Far as the brakes are concerned; new wheel cylinders, shoes, hardware, possibly adjusters, have the drums turned if necessary (sometimes just deglazing with sand paper is all they need), and replace any brake lines necessary. The master is probably toast from sitting all these years with stagnant fluid in it. Have you given any thought to front disc?
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2014 at 7:23pm
I would really like to do front disc brakes. I've read up on it in the past. Do you know of anywhere I can get a list of part numbers for everything I need to order from the parts store? I don't think I'll be finding much in the way of donor vehicles out here. I can fabricate caliper mounts if I need to. My understanding is that I'll need new hubs assemblies, calipers, and rotors plus a different master cylinder and maybe an adjustable proportioning valve.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 53>
  Share Topic