TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 SC Journey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7980818283 95>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Zioamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zioamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2018 at 4:30pm
everything looks great Kevin
      .....1969 Sc/Rambler....
Zioamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zioamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2018 at 10:33am
This car will be the only SC in the country that has been restored to the extent that this car is being done. I know for a fact that I could never take this much time doing mine. If this car ever goes to auction it will be the first SC to hit six figures. The work being done would never be done in any shop to the caliber of this restoration. All the hours going into this car most people could not afford to have a car done like Kevin is doing his. I applaud all the info that he is sharing with the rest of us in the Amc community. Keep up the great work Kevin as this will be the best in the county unless ya find the brand new SC the was reported stolen right out of the plant in 1969 good luck with that and I'm still looking for everyday for it
      .....1969 Sc/Rambler....
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2018 at 1:13pm
Forget auction - by that time the seller fee will be 50% and the buyer fee will be 50% and the only one getting any money will be the auctioneer. 
I know of a Javelin that was excellent and a few years back wasn't THAT far shy of 6 figure in a private sale - they don't have to be auction, IMO. I bet there's been some cars sell higher than auction prices in private sales.

In any case I do agree - and this is not meant to take anything at all away from sidewinders excellent AMX and all the work he did and this isn't meant as anything against his work or abilities etc. - not one bit - but I bet he'd be among the first to agree this car would challenge his AMX.
Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2018 at 4:42pm

Kevin's "69 SC Journey",in my opinion, ranks as one of the highest, most detailed and chronicled restorations of a car period, regardless of make. His documented discoveries are that which only someone with his background and devotion, could ever pull off !

The value to the S/C Rambler owner, and the AMC community at large is beyond words.

Anybody following this thread, especially as an S/C R owner, owes him a big thank you!

Thank you !

Rich C.

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2018 at 6:02pm
I replied over a year or so back about this thread, as a great resource, even though pre 71 AMC/Ramblers never were in my ownership through the years.

If by chance the documented info in this thread was cleaned up and set into a book with all its illustrations, it would be well worth the estimated $120.00 US or so, for such a thing, if it were to be.

One massive coffee table book to rule them all. Maybe it could be the first dining table book?

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2018 at 8:28pm
Well boys, this car ain't never going through auction I can tell you that! It will be Eric's someday Lord willing, and if not then I like picking the worthy caretaker of my cars not watching a bidding war decide it...

The journey has been long, over half a lifetime now, but I am committed to finishing this car for November so we keep pushing forward.

Dave, I'd love to have some "indentured servants" this summer, so if you'd like free room and board in Amish Country and put some labor hours in on the car just let me know!
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2018 at 10:46pm
Progress this week consisted of multi-step restoration of some front suspension parts,  After some blasting, and plating, they became windchimes in the spray room with some tedious masking of "bare metal machined" surfaces:

After some paint work for the gray cast surfaces, and some unmasking, it was a great time for a before and after photo comparing the finished rights to the parts washed only lefts:

You will see the fresh machined metal surfaces above standing out.  They are the reasons for pre-plating.

This week I am doing final prep on the last of the charcoal interior parts and a little bright white work on the body and hood scoop.  Dad is coming down for a visit and to shoot a little paint this coming weekend.  Need to get the rotisserie mount spots touched in now that the back of the car is free.

Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2018 at 11:14pm
You need to try electrolysis on some of those cast parts, for that matter, other parts. Save a ton of blasting plus it works while you do other things.

I've totally refinished a couple of heater blower motor squirrel cage fans and it would have been really tough to get done what I have without my electrolysis bucket working day and night chemically reversing the rust process for me. Pull them out, rinse and a bit of wire brush and they clean up like freshly cast parts with little to no blasting. You know that any rust at all on a part and it won't plate - maybe you've seen the plated fans I've done - total coverage. Those typically take a lot of effort to clean.

Here's a couple of examples - you can tell which part of these arms was in the bucket and which parts were not. I prefer this method as it leaves the ORIGINAL surface finish, unlike blasting typically does. 
I avoid blasting any wiper motor parts if i can at all avoid it because I can get a finish more true to the factory finish. If it's blasted, the steel surface is changed and plating will definitely turn out looking different. I've compared the parts some folks do to what I do and I can usually tell if it's been even bead blasted....... steel from a press is a whole lot smoother than steel that's been even bead blasted and the finish is totally different. So I try hard to avoid blasting or polishing or sanding surfaces where possible. Sometimes you can't, but often there are ways other than physical processing which forever changes the surface look and structure. 
I've been using electrolysis for rust removal and even some paint removal for over 25 years. 

Of course I then powdercoated all of my suspension parts...........  springs, too. (and that's why next spring I get a room dedicated to powder coating and small parts painting - it's messy - love your paint area! Wish I was set up that way already.)

kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2018 at 6:08am
Those parts look really great Bill.

Sounds like something I need to look into but I think its going to have to wait until the next project to experiment with. Blasting gets the best tooth for painting but agreed for other processes it can make it harder to deal with.
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
69 SCRambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 SCRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 10:52am
The time, effort and detail being put forth here is truly amazing! Well done.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7980818283 95>
  Share Topic