TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70+ front spring perches

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 6:51pm
I agree with billd, as the shock pivot has no bearing on suspension geometry. If you want little play in the shock for quick responses with loads, a poly bushing will do and will be just as effective as the costly bearing setup.

I am only using poly, as it was a cost effective and easy option at the time. If I had new rubber bushings at the price I got my poly, i would have done with a good rubber set.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
bobsterfl View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobsterfl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2018 at 7:04pm
For what its worth, I bought a pair of the inner bushings at a local auto parts store.  I believe it was either AutoZone or O'Reilly's.  Try searching the net first or find a store employee that wants to take the time to help.  The price wasn't that bad. This was just the inner bushing and strap, not the whole perch.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2018 at 7:09pm
You can buy the PROPER bushings on Amazon pretty cheap. 
ClassicCustom400 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClassicCustom400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2020 at 10:03am
We have seen the Rare Parts piece crack before even being pressed in completely, and would not recommend those. The big 3 AMC vendors had these made after failures of the Rare Parts unit:

JeepComancher
www.ClassicCustom400.com
mickmatt View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickmatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2020 at 4:23pm
Are you still rebuilding the spring perches?
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2020 at 8:12pm
This is a bit of an old post, I ended up rebuilding mine with VW Amarock poly rear shackle bushes Although I did find them a touch loose in the housings.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
JD View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2020 at 8:46am
 I have a pair of Rare Parts perch bushings bought new in '97 .... was gonna use maybe this coming year with a complete front end rebuild  .

RareParts spring seat bushings  CL113640 15151

I've read that these bushings might not be very reliable and saw that Rare Parts even as much as says so in their info on the newer part thats greasable and such. What was the problem with these bushings? Earlier in this thread someone mentioned cracking..... i guess the steel shell ???
  I examined the bushings and the rubber is a Clevite Silentbloc  like a regular type bushing .I don't want to have to do this job twice because of a unreliable part.

Edited by JD - Dec/23/2020 at 8:49am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2020 at 2:27pm
Frank Swygert
JD View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2020 at 12:22pm
Thanks Farna
  I called Rare Parts and talked with them, the man said the part i have was a replacement they used to buy from clevite and should be fine, when clevite discontinued making the spring perch Rare Parts started making the ones they have now that are greasable. 
70series70 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70series70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2021 at 8:17pm
Thanks, farna

Your link to Spring seat bushings looks very good, I think I will try it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic