TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71 AMX 3rd time is a charm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71 AMX 3rd time is a charm
    Posted: Feb/14/2014 at 8:28pm
Hi Everyone,
     Well I have reached my 30 posts so I thought I would start by showing you my project. This is my 1971 AMX Javelin. I bought this car I think around 1979, the engine was apart and in about 6 or more cardboard boxes. The car itself was silver and had front end damage. After 2 long years and a lot of work the new paint scheme, black and gold and a freshly rebuilt engine it was on the road. Less than 1000 miles later I was the victim of thieves, they removed the entire top of the engine and stole the wheels and tires. What made it worse they didn't bother jacking up the car, simply removed the lug nuts and pushed it with probably a truck. After that with no more money to spend it was dragged to the edge of the woods where it sat for close to 30 years. These are photo's after spending a entire day jacking it up out of the mud, putting some wheels under it and dragging it to the barn.

Zioamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zioamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2014 at 8:32pm
surprise there any floors left good luck with your project its worth saving
      .....1969 Sc/Rambler....
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2014 at 8:44pm
Wow! That is quite a story. Glad to see you did not give up on it. Can't wait to follow along with your restoration.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2014 at 8:53pm
My restoration or should I say my attempt is further along. Being new here, I thought I would start at the beginning. I wish I would have discovered this forum sooner it would have made my journey smoother. as for the floorboards they were in great shape. In fact in future posts you will see that not much besides the floor was saved.
Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2014 at 9:14am
After moving the car into the shop and a close examination for the most part the entire skin is so badly rusted the only thing worth saving seems to be the floor inner fenders and firewall. The car had sunk into the mud so far I think it preserved the floor and undercarriage. At this point I sought advice from 2 body shops, both said it was to far gone. I was disappointed but decided to plow ahead. A search began for donor car and parts. As luck has it, in no time I found a car with the floor and undercarriage completely rotted away. A few more Pictures
more to come
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2014 at 9:39am
Some of the outside looks like heavy surface rust but hard to tell from here.
They do make rear patch panels but not full panels. Doors & fenders you should be able to find but if they only have little rust holes you can patch them.

Is that rust holes I see in the open trunk picture? To have a shop fix that could run $$ but if you have a MIG welder, a brake and sheet metal that can be fixed too. IIRC someone on here has done so and there were pictures.
That does bring up a point how much of the work can you do and how much you have to farm out?
Dave ----

TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2014 at 7:23pm
Hey Dave, yes the windows front and back also rear quarter windows trunk lid were all rusted all the way around to the point that they were ready to just fall in. All of the rust, or surface rust was much worse than the photo's show. everything was heavily pitted or rusted thru. I have been working on this car for 2 years now and am well past this state of mess. Just new to the forum and thought I would start at my beginnings. I am only able to work on the car from time to time but plan on posting a little more everyday to get caught up with where I am at today. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any advice it is all much appreciated. More to come tomorrow. thanks again

Buster
Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2014 at 2:11pm
Well at this point, I decided to simply remove the skin from the donor car windshield the whole way back as one piece. Even though the donor cars quarter panels needed repaired I thought it was best to remove good and bad then make repairs after I installed on my project car. With the donor skin removed with success the same was done with my project car. After that it was all sandblasted and cleaned up then a new trunk drop on the passenger side was installed and both trunk corners fabricated and repaired. Also patches inside the trunk area were repaired while I had good access. for the most part the trunk and inner fenders were pretty good. While it was in this state I did take advantage and bend and install new edging on both inner fenders.
In the one photo you can see I left the front part of the passenger quarter on and made my cut strait up the wheel well. When removing the donor skin i discovered the car had been vertically cut there with part of the quarter replaced before. not a very good job though it had been brazed together with a lot of bondo overtop.
   Again thanks for reading I will post more later today or tomorrow

Buster
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2014 at 3:03pm
Oh wow Buster. Your a braver man then me. I would never have taken on that much of a project.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2014 at 5:00pm
ShockedShocked WOW man! I've never seen a car totally stripped of it's outer sheet metal before. You're one brave guy!! Hope it turns out well. You'll sure gain a huge amount of experience by doing this though.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
  Share Topic