TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71 AMX 3rd time is a charm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 20>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2017 at 10:06am
Sorry my bad, I thought early 71 consoles were ABS plastic like the 71 to 72 consoles. I guess a fiber composite like 73 and 74 consoles.

None the less, JB Weld won't hold up at adhering well with bonding two separate components, like fractured segments

You can fill cracks and holes but you need something that will stick much better and is shear resistant to loads.

It may work out, as there is the 50/50 chance with how a fix turns out. Just saying for peeps reading along and may find out one way or another how well SceneOne's fix works for them.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2017 at 9:22pm
Hey Keith I love my new fuse panel your right it was a bit of a squeeze to get it up in there but I'm happy with how it turned out. Thank you for the pictures you sent they were a big help in making it happen As for the consol it seems to be really strong, I had used the jb weld on the joint and also to adhere a piece of sheet metal to the back then tiger hair over the metal and everything else on the back which really stiffened the whole unit up. The good part is there should be no real stress on it at all when it's installed and you won't be able to see the joint because it slides under the glove box. I have already test fit it and it seems to work out great. But before I can install, it will need painted and carpet. All advice appreciated though, I did purchase Plastex for my grill repair work.

And yes Ken I hope to have it completed by spring/summer time and money will determine though.

Again Merry Christmas to everyone and I hope Santa brings everyone some fun AMC stuff!!

Buster.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2017 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Sorry my bad, I thought early 71 consoles were ABS plastic like the 71 to 72 consoles. I guess a fiber composite like 73 and 74 consoles.

Just FWIW, my '72 console isn't plastic either.

Buster... no pressure, but here's hoping we get to see your finished car at Auburn.  It's a bit of a miracle car to me!!

Merry Christmas!
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2018 at 4:01pm
A quick update on what has been happening. Work has kept me busy so working on my car has been at a crawl. Plastic repair work on the grill was performed and it looks like new. New brackets for the turn signals were made and the turn signal housings and lenses cleaned and refinished. Ok, I know this car is a 71 and it should have the clear lenses(which I have) and silver grill but I like the look of the black grill and amber lenses so that is what I went with. Next was the interior plastic and sound system. In order to get a speaker under the dash I fabricated a small bracket which worked fine, a bit of a tight squeeze but it is in there. Also speakers installed in the back panel which I covered with a leather grained material. Carpet was installed and I moved onto new seat covers, some new foam and I repaired a number of broken springs. They turned out great, I had ordered them during Legendary's sale at the beginning of the year. Good thing because it took over 8 weeks to get them. I also installed head liner and all the other interior plastic. Back seat is in, front seats maybe this weekend. I also have moved onto the exhaust decided to go with the polished stainless kit from Summit that Pit crew recommended (thanks Ken!)
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2018 at 4:19pm
Buster, I agree, the mesh grill looks great when painted black.
And your grill tub looks brand new. I can't get over how nice it looks.
Do you think there is any hope for this grill?
Thanks, Tom

Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2018 at 6:42pm
Looking good. We all love progress.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2018 at 8:22pm
Looks great Buster! Can't wait to see it in person!

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2018 at 6:43am
Originally posted by Shannock Shannock wrote:

Buster, I agree, the mesh grill looks great when painted black.
And your grill tub looks brand new. I can't get over how nice it looks.
Do you think there is any hope for this grill?
Thanks, Tom

Oh yes Tom that can be fixed. A little time and patience and it will look brand new also. If you don't feel it is something you can tackle there are a number of people that can repair it. Also I would be happy to repair it for you but my schedule may not work with yours Let me know if you need any help.

Buster
Brad View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2018 at 6:17pm
Beautiful workmanship, good job! 
Woosterkevin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woosterkevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2018 at 12:11am
Looks amazing Buster.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 20>
  Share Topic