TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'71 AMX rear axle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidefx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '71 AMX rear axle
    Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 10:50am
The rear differential on my 1971 AMX is leaking and I have a slight whine coming from the rear.

First I would like to fix the leak on the diff cover and fill with new fluid. Later down the road I would like to check the wheel bearing to see if that is the cause for the whine.

My question is if I want to change my wheel bearings should I do it at the same time with the diff cover off? It looks like wheel bearings can be changed without opening the diff cover on AMC axles correct?
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 4:08pm
Yes the axles can come out without removing the cover later,
but the brake backing plates are used as the bearing retainers,
so keep in mind you will have to mess with the brakes to get the shafts out.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 7:18pm
Fair warning here.....if your car has a posi, it is highly likely that the axle end play block has a sheared roll pin.  If it does it most likely will "stick" to the end of the axle, so when you pull the axle out of the housing.....it travels with it and usually falls off.  The problem is to put the to put the (2 piece) end play block back in you need to pull the cover and carrier.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
7172AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7172AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 9:33pm
Good call on the thrust block retainers Matcoupe. 
Unless a one sided sound is evident, I would make the assumption the whine could be gear related; improperly mated/worn r and p possible. an exam of the wear patterns, backlash and runout would be a start since your'e likely going in the pumpkin. check carrier and axle end play too for bearing preload.  
GoPacKman
71 JavAMX 401 T-10 354TG
72 JavSST 360 727 315TG
98 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4.0 4WD
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 10:05pm
i agree on the source of the noise: whine is almost always gears. and unless it's "recently changed" it might not be broken, in the sense of needing repair to be reliable. pull the cover, carefully wipe off some teeth, examine both load and unload surfaces, and look for bad wear. if not bad, turn up the radio :-)

does it change with acceleration? decelleration? or "no load" feathered throttle cruise?

bad axle bearings ("wheel bearings") grumble, or roar, or a sort of "white noise", broadband sort of noise. it's gear teeth with their regular spacing and pattern that makes a regular, "musical" whine or noise.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 10:50pm
I've had a slight whine from the AMC 20 in my 67 Ambassador ever since I had it. Cleaning out all the old lube helped a bit. Looked at the gear wear pattern and could see no issue.
Since then I've put many many miles on it and have successfully ignored it.

I changed the wheel bearings when I had a seal issue. Didn't change the little bit of whine. If you're making street use of the car and it's always had a little whine, you may want to just turn up the radio. ...until it changes.

Bruce Clarkson
Bruce Clarkson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic