TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'71 Javelin Transmission Kickdown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McDonaldIsland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '71 Javelin Transmission Kickdown
    Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 11:11pm
In the process of buttoning up our '71 SST after 5 months of rebuilding and in a cardboard box that was in the trunk I found part of the transmission kickdown linkage. I have the long bent rod that connects at the transmission and then to something else up near the firewall. Can anyone send me a photo of the parts that I'm missing? I'm assuming that there has to be another rod that goes to the carb. I looked on our '72 AMX and it appears to be a completely different linkage.
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2014 at 3:29am
1971 Javelin (Borg Warner Automatic) would have a "Electrical" driven kickdown, activated by switch at top of Gas Pedal Assy.  If you have linkage that connects to trans, that is for Steering Column Interlock.  AKA: Car needs to be in Park to turn key and remove....also prevent from putting car in Neutral with no key...early theft deterant!!!  One cotter pin adn it is disconnected any way.  You 72 Javelin (Chrysler Torque Flite) would have a Linkage from carb to trans via a linkage/bellcrank located on the left rear cylinder head.  The torque flite looks at throttle positon via this linkage for shift timing and kickdown. 
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2014 at 8:27am
There was some discussion on here recently with some diagrams of the steering interlock.
htonysv1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htonysv1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2014 at 7:38pm
Im the poster about the steering lock,one rod goes to the shifter,the other to the steering column,my problem is the borg Warner trans needs to be pulled back to put in gear but my shifter moves forward.How do  reverse the action?

74 Bricklin 71 javelin 66 impala convertiable                            
htonysv1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htonysv1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2014 at 7:39pm
My shifter came out of a 72 Javelin.

74 Bricklin 71 javelin 66 impala convertiable                            
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic