TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

727 trans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 727 trans
    Posted: Jul/15/2018 at 8:29pm
I found a good 727 for my 71 javelin. what i need to know is can I put the engine harness from a 73 into my 71? most looks the same. the borg has a 1 wire plug in and the 727 has a 3 wire plug in.
any help would be nice thnx.
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2018 at 8:35pm
If you're planning on bolting your 727 to a '71 engine it's not going to work. The crankshaft pilot is too small and the flexplates & torque converters are different. There are adapter kits but I'd recommend either changing to a '72-later engine or having the '71 engine's crankshaft pilot machined to accept the 727's converter snout.

As for the wiring they're completely different. The Borg/Warner uses a solenoid for the 3-2 downshift. That's the blue wire in your harness that goes to the transmission. The 727 doesn't use it. Additionally the 727 uses the three pin plug for both the neutral safety switch and the backup lights. The Borg/Warner had the switch either at the base of the column (column shift cars) or in the console shifter (console shift cars). You can re-wire the 727 3-pin plug to the original switches wiring if you know which pins are which.

Driveshaft yokes and lengths are different too.

-Steve-
rustyrench View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2018 at 10:32pm
the motor is out of a 73 it is my donor car for parts. putting on front disc brakes. not sure what pin is what. mine is the floor shift so I also need to work on the linkage for the shifting also. I will see what i can for the pins on the trans.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 12:36am
You can leave the neutral safety switch and reverse light functions on the shifter, no real need to adapt the 727 switch on the tranny. Kickdown is via the linkage from the carby with the 727, so just leave the wire from the BW trans off.

The rest of the 71 wiring should be essentially the same as 73, so I'd just stick with the 71 harness unless it's messed up.
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 6:20am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

You can leave the neutral safety switch and reverse light functions on the shifter, no real need to adapt the 727 switch on the tranny. Kickdown is via the linkage from the carby with the 727, so just leave the wire from the BW trans off.

The rest of the 71 wiring should be essentially the same as 73, so I'd just stick with the 71 harness unless it's messed up.

That's true.

-Steve-
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic