TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

73 Jeep J2000 rusted cowl, block it off?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjdriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 73 Jeep J2000 rusted cowl, block it off?
    Posted: Oct/04/2018 at 12:37pm
hello guys, im trying to figure out what to do with my rusted wiper cowl. the floor of the cowl is rusted badly, alot of holes and is paper thin in some areas. some areas are impossible to get at like the drivers side area. I was thinking I should treat the rust with converter then block off the cowl vents so water cant get in. I think the heater will still get air from where the water is supposed to drain in the fenders. I was going to fill the holes with jb weld and paint it but the rust is worse than expected, mabey I should fiberglass it? just looking for advice , best way to block the cowl vent?

http://imgur.com/a/DLM5nCA - http://imgur.com/a/DLM5nCA
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2018 at 6:46pm
Another source of air for the fan might not work as well because the location of the cowl vents is a high pressure region, pressurizing the air going to the fan when the vehicle is moving. If you have AC, it might be an issue. But if the rust is fatal in that area, it would solve the problem of water infiltration.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
mjdriver View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjdriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2018 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by 6768rogues 6768rogues wrote:

Another source of air for the fan might not work as well because the location of the cowl vents is a high pressure region, pressurizing the air going to the fan when the vehicle is moving. If you have AC, it might be an issue. But if the rust is fatal in that area, it would solve the problem of water infiltration.

well I treated the rust today with rust converter and bought some bondo will try and patch it up best I can tomorrow. will have to see how I feel on blocking the vents. the truck did have factory AC( dealer installed underdash unit) too many parts are missing though so I removed what was left, will probably end up installing an aftermarket underdash unit one day. the heat system is separate on full size Jeeps all the way till they stopped making them. and even though I live in Florida I would like to retain the function of the factory heating system. might experiment with blocking the cowl off and see if I still get airflow, but that will have to wait till the things runnin.
rang-a-stang View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rang-a-stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2018 at 11:21pm
How long do you expect to keep this truck? The reason I ask, is in my experience when you rust treat, then cover it with bondo or fiberglass, it will re-rust in the next 5-10 years, only worse. 

All my experience with FSJs is on my 79 so bear with me since it may be different than your 73.

Are you working from the top of the cowl, removing the grill from the wiper area or are you working from underneath the dash looking up? I ask because if you are working from underneath, when you bondo it, make sure you seal it up well from the top or water WILL seep into between the metal and bondo and it WILL rust quickly and terribly. 

When you say "blocking the vents" are you talking about the 2 vents in the kick panels? If so, I would strongly recommend against it. You need to be able to get in there and clean that space out every few years or so. That space collects leaves and dirt, then when it rains, water comes in the vents. If you block the vents, it will make it worse. If you have not gone in there and cleaned those areas out yet, do it now!!! IFSJA.org is FULLLlllll of stories of folks that have not cleaned these and have rusty floorboards. When I cleaned mine out it was full all the way up to the bottom of the vent (about 2 gallons of garbage per side). 

Edited by rang-a-stang - Oct/06/2018 at 12:51am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2018 at 8:13am
I think he means blocking the cowl vents at the base of the windshield so water doesn't get in when it rains. Mustang guys typically do that with magnetic sign pieces cut to fit. A sign shop can cover them in vinyl of a similar color to the car. Easily removed for shows or good weather driving where you want some air in the car (side vents inside get fresh air from the cowl vents in most vehicles).
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic