TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

74 AMX got keyed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hitman33dp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 74 AMX got keyed
    Posted: Apr/08/2014 at 1:13pm
My first car I bought myself when I was 14 was a 74 Javelin, which I still have today at age 34. The license plates on it are still from the last time it was actually driven (Colorado Plates from 1984). When I was in college in 1998 I came across an add in the local paper for a 74 AMX. I went and looked at it in the rain. Looked great! The guy, Ron, wanted $4000 for the car. After talking to him for about an hour while looking over the car I offered him $3000, which I did not actually have at the time. He took it and told me the story of the last guy he sold it to. A few days before I arrived another gentleman came and looked at the car, test drove it, and walked around it several times, he also spent over an hour there inspecting this car. At the end the guy didn't offer him anything less, told him he would take the car for the asking price of $4000 and wrote Ron a check. When he handed Ron the check the guy stated "I've always wanted a Mustang just like this!" Ron ripped up the check right in his face and told him the car was not for sale! So, when I came around and actually appeared to know a little about humpsters and he found out I had a Jav, he gladly took the money, which I had to barrow from my Grandma, and had to pay her back over the course of the next few months. I titled the car in her name until I was able to pay her off, which she got a kick out of and bragged about to everyone that she owned her first muscle car in her 70's. Currently I own 3 1/2 humpsters, the 4th one my mother wanted so I split it with her, which is a 71 SST. But on to the restoration story....

Edited by hitman33dp - Nov/04/2015 at 2:10pm
74 "NOT A REAL AMX" Javelin / 2 x 74 Javelins / 71 Javelin SST
hitman33dp View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hitman33dp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2014 at 1:20pm
When I first got the 74 AMX and got to look at it the next day when it was not raining, I found that the paint had orange peel all over it, some point it had been wrecked, there was red paint showing through in hiding places. I talked to Ron a little more after and found that when he got the car it had a SBC and TH400 in it with GM parts throughout. They mutilated the cowl AMX hood frame to make room for the oversized GM brake booster and even attached the hood hinge spring to the shock tower. They had wires cut and stripped and going no where. They cut a hole in the floor tunnel to make room for the shifter and drilled several extra holes in the firewall.   

Edited by hitman33dp - Apr/13/2014 at 4:51pm
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hitman33dp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2014 at 3:24pm
I had the AMX about a year when I was visiting my father at his acreage. I was on his 3 wheeler with my young nephew sitting in my lap. We were stopped next to my car talking to my dad when my nephew hit the throttle, launching the front wheel up in the air and throwing my nephew and I off the back. The 3 wheeler ran right into the driver side quarter panel of my car. So, I took this opportunity (always think positive!) to repaint the car. I swapped cowl hoods with another one I had picked up along the way that was in much better shape. My wife's uncle let a buddy of mine that was a former paint and body guy use his shop. We patched the panel and repainted the car. I could not afford the time or money then to tear it all the way down. I was still in college working part time and this was my daily driver car. We did the best we could. We got rid of the orange peel and fish eyes, painted it the same color of Dark Saphire Blue Metallic. I also painted a T-stripe on it with Graphite Pearl. The car stayed like this for the next 10 years.

Edited by hitman33dp - Jun/27/2015 at 12:57am
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hitman33dp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2014 at 3:12pm
On with the restoration story... Christmas 2010. At the time I had a 16x20 garage, just big enough for humpster. Pulled it out and parked it along the street so I could pull my truck in and work on it. Heard my dogs barking like crazy for a few minutes, but as I live in a town of 110 people in Central Nebraska I figured someone was walking by and didn't think much of it. It was late night by the time I pulled my truck out. As I was backing up my truck, the headlights shined across the side of my car and that's when I saw the GLARING scratch all the way down the side of the AMX. I immediately started sobbing like a baby. When I got it back in the garage I found the other side and the hood had been done, but not as deep. Called police and they took a report and told me it is almost impossible to find out who did it, recommended putting a reward out to the kids in the area and hope something comes of it. Nothing ever did. Started stripping the car in the garage in the summer, when wouldn't you know, a storm with high winds blows a tree over on my garage. It did not completely crush the garage but leaned it enough to knock everything out of the rafters and backwall onto the car. So the now the garage has to be redone...but bigger and better! 26x48, still not enough room. Built it after work and on weekends mostly by myself with some help here and there from friends and family. Now that is all done (well, mostly) back to AMX. The project of a simple repaint on the body has now become a ground up restoration...more time...more money...more frustration! I will start posting pics on here as soon as I figure out photobucket... or when I get enough points. Thanks for listening.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hitman33dp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2014 at 5:34pm
My 74 AMX before getting Keyed...

The Scratch...

Edited by hitman33dp - Jun/27/2015 at 1:18am
fast401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fast401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2014 at 6:09pm
You need 17 more post....almost there.  Just reply back and you will have one more!
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com
wantajav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2014 at 6:21pm
Great story looking forward to the updates.

Vandalism ruins a Bowtie - enhances a AMC (another war story)
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hitman33dp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2014 at 9:14pm
I'm still trying to figure out how to post pics from photobucket but havent figured it out yet.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2014 at 2:31pm
Right click on the picture> properties> hi light the full URL address> copy it to your post> add IMG with [] around the IMG at the front and /IMG with [] around it at the end and it should show up.
If that does not work just paste a link to the picture in your post so we can get to it.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hitman33dp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2014 at 3:18pm
That's what I've been trying in the post above, but all it does is give the box with the X in it. I've tried adjusting the picture size also. I'll keep playing with it, if I can't get it soon I'll post the link. Otherwise I guess I better start posting more often. Just joined the membership, but have been referring to this site for years for info and advice, guess I should have signed up years ago!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic