TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

74 Hornet project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 74 Hornet project
    Posted: Feb/28/2011 at 9:50pm
Hello, my name is Rob Johnsen and I'm new here on the forums. I was asked to document the build of the Hornet we're picking up from Ron here shortly. 

Here's some "before" pics I was emailed.

Here's some pics that I just received today from Ron showing the car in primer along with the bumpers and rear spoiler. 

We're planning on trailering the car from Medford OR to Nampa ID the weekend of March 5th.  I already have a body shop lined up to finalize an estimate as soon as the car shows up here.  Then it will have the final prep work done and be painted in short order I hope.  Need to have this car up and running to work the bugs out by mid-May so as to make a memorial day weekend outing.  I know, that's a lot to get done.  Wish me luck!

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2011 at 10:00pm
Looks good in the pictures. Are you planning on bringing it back out to the Northwest for the Rendezvous show in August?
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
imacarfan2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imacarfan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2011 at 10:23pm
I'm glad someone picked this car up. Good luck with it and keep us posted on its progress!
67 Ambo conv
68 AMX
68 Ambo 4 door
70 Ambo 4 door
(2) 71 Hornets (1 SC/360)
73 Hornet 2 door
77 Matador coupe
77 Sportabout
78 Concord 2 door
81 Concord wagon
Traveller View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2011 at 10:58pm

Didn't know there was a show in August!   Pretty new to the AMC club thing here.  Last AMC I owned was a '72 SST Javelin with all the AMX body parts and a VERY warmed up 290.  Well, it started life as a 290, but it was 319 cubes when I got it and it was a rev happy beast.  Looked like a car out of the Road Warrior movies due to 4 different colors of primer.  Fun car to drive though. 

Probably should have stated the intentions for the project.  I'm going to use the Hornet AMX body parts and an SC/360 cold air scoop on it.  Still debating whether to leave it black or paint it body color.  As of right now I'm planning on big bad blue for the overall color.  I might black out the trim or might not.  I'm going to have to get a couple extra sections of trim, paint them black and then make a choice.  Won't have to decide that right away though.  Still debating louvers or not. 

I have a 401 sitting in my shop that's just itching to be built and dropped in the Hornet.  I do need a better rear axle as the AMC 15 won't live behind 500HP.  I'm still debating AMC20 with a 3.54 or a Ford 9".  I'd prefer the AMC rear so that it will bolt right in and hook up to sway bars.  I have all the factory A/C brackets and pulleys on the 401 to install A/C.  Not sure if I should go ahead and update it to the later Sanden style compressor or rebuild the stock unit.  Again, I'll have to decide later.  For transmission I'm seriously debating building the 904 for higher power.  I know they make good strip transmissions and I'll be taking it to the track here locally 4-5 times a year.

Going to leave the interior alone for the most part until the car us up and driving.  I'll start tweaking that  as I go.  Pretty much I want a nice, fast driver.  Stay tuned to see if I end up with fuel injection or not.  May have to carb it to make my deadline, but it very well may end up with injection. 
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2011 at 11:58am
http://www.cascaderamblers.org/
There are some details about halfway down the page.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
amcrules00 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcrules00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2011 at 12:13pm
Welcome to the forum Rob, looks like you're off to a good start with the Hornet project. Sounds like you've set an ambitious schedule for yourself, keep us updated with the progress you're making.

Edited by amcrules00 - Mar/01/2011 at 12:14pm
Scrapdaddy Sr. View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrapdaddy Sr. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2011 at 2:49pm
Looking forward to seeing how that rear spoiler will look with all the AMX flares and spoilers added. Rear window louvers really make for a nice touch on the Hornets in my opinion.
Do document and keep us posted on the progress!
Traveller View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2011 at 8:21pm
Got some more pics from Ron today.  Here's the car partly assembled.  This looks like how we'll pick it up this weekend. 

Also, located an AMC 20 rear out of a Gremlin X locally.  3.54 gear, looks to be an open diff unless the clutches are gone and it's a limited slip.  I'll be picking up the rear end tomorrow. 

The SC/360 reproduction scoop from Eddie Stakes showed up today.  Didn't realize the openings weren't cut out yet.  Something else to do before it gets painted.  Think I'm going to paint it semi-matte black for contrast against the blue car. 

Spoke with the race transmission builder today at a shop we use.  He walked me all through what to do to the 904 that's already in the car, so that's what I'll be using.  He has 904's in 9 second drag cars and prefers it to the 727 for most applications that they build for.  Lighter, fits the space already so no body clearancing or changing mounts, less internal loss and lower inertia so it accelerates faster, and doesn't require expensive parts to keep from scattering a drum into your leg.  Also, it's about a third the cost to switch to the low 1st gear versus the 727.  The trans won't be that expensive to build but the converter will cost almost as much as the trans work.  For the good, quality, tuneable converter we want to use it's not going to be cheap.  Ah well, save some money, spend some money. 

Thanks for the welcome guys!  By the way, the time frame is susceptible to change if the "sponsor" money isn't forthcoming.  If I'm out of pocket for the whole thing, I won't have as much time pressure to get it done since I'm not putting sponsor decals on something I paid for.  That being the case, it might take a couple more months to get done.

amcrules00 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcrules00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2011 at 9:05pm

How do we get some AMCForum contingency decals on this car?
1974gremlinx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974gremlinx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2011 at 1:28am
Nice project!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
  Share Topic