TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Air conditioning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warthog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air conditioning
    Posted: Jul/28/2014 at 6:28pm
Need some help.
My air conditioning is hooked up but I blew a hose when I tried to service it with R12. The belt is still hooked to the condenser. When the engine is running the pulley turns but the face plate on the pulley turns slow then stops while the pulley continues to turn with the engine. It makes a bit of a sound like a scraping sound. I started to disconnect the belt but noticed that belt was also running the power steering so that seem not to be an option.   Kind of at a loss as to what to do.   Any suggestions and explanations would be most appreciated.

Warthog
Colonel Ron Wilson
A-10 Driver/AMX Driver/Boeing 777 Driver
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2014 at 7:01pm
I believe you can get a PS belt (vs. a PS and AC belt) and just bypass your compressor until you get it fixed.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2014 at 7:04pm
If you un-plug the hot wire to the compressor clutch, it will not engage and you can continue to drive the car.
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
greasygt III View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greasygt III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2014 at 7:15pm
    It sounds like you need a hub/clutch assm. because of too much ware. OR, it could be that the compressor itself is so contaminated that it there is interference(corrosion) with the free rotation. How long has the system been back together and were the proper steps taken for proper functioning?
    I'm not even going to ask what type of car/truck because it has to be old enough to have been serviced at least once so the system has been exposed to the atmosphere. Was a suitable vacuumed done?? There is a lot of variables here.
83 Spirit GT
79 Ranchero GT 460
warthog View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warthog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2014 at 7:58pm
I disconnected the hot wire to the clutch. I still have the same problem, it is still making noise.
Colonel Ron Wilson
warthog View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warthog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2014 at 8:00pm
See that front piece right in front of the belt it turns slow or not at all. Need a quick fix so I can drive the car in morning. It is my 74 AMX.

THANKS
Warthog
Colonel Ron Wilson
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2014 at 1:43am
That part is the hub/clutch assembly. It's NOT supposed to turn unless the a/c system is ON. There is no quick fix. Either get another belt that will eliminate the compressor or get another compressor.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2014 at 6:37am
from the amount of brown on the compressor, it looks like the bearing in the clutch gave out.. no quick fix for that.. needs a new bearing or pulley assy..  
70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2014 at 1:08pm
I believe this is the one you need. Your local Napa has them but when I bought one a few years back from Napa, my jobber cost was more than this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-AMC-FORD-Volvo-240-York-2-Gr-AC-Clutch-T210L-R210L-/280526921689?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4150b51fd9&vxp=mtr

Edit-whoops its a 2 grove pulley-but it still may work.

Edited by 70 Donohue 390 - Jul/29/2014 at 1:22pm
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
jayramb View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayramb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2014 at 10:00pm
I don't know if this is relevant to your situation...York compressors do have a 'noise' in them after so much use.
Jayson Helenske
See my webiste! www.1967AMCRamblerRebel.weebly.com
Current Cars:
1967 Rambler Rebel 770 290 V8 4-barrel and Paint - Marina Aqua.
1966 MARLIN 327 V8 4 barrel and Paint-Med. Cortez Aqua
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic