TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - AMC 20 Full Floater - Anyone still making these ki
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 20 Full Floater - Anyone still making these ki

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeeperJolene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC 20 Full Floater - Anyone still making these ki
    Posted: Apr/25/2018 at 3:06pm
I've been searching high and low to find a full floater conversion kit for the AMC 20, but I'm finding that the companies who used to do it don't anymore. Does anyone know of any companies that still work on the 20?

I'd like to keep the 20 because it's original to the car, but if it can't be built up to match a stronger setup then I'm going to have to look into a different rear end.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2018 at 3:17pm
I assume your going to run it on the track?

The only way to make it stronger is with solid axles. Not sure which manufacture, but they require larger bearings and axle ends.

For the money many choose to go with a Ford 8.8, but it Is not a direct bolt in.

As long as you stay below 500 hp you can still use your rear end. To make it reliable takes adding keyways to the hub and axle or frequent torque checks on the axle nuts.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2018 at 3:40pm
Weren't those full floating kits all for the Jeep 5 on 5.5" wheel patterns?

Is this for a Jeep, or a car?

I like the AMC 8.875",
but it's the 8 bolt ring gear that jumps out as the weak link to me,
followed by the thin axle tubes, and then the thin housing.

The (semi-floating) 1-piece "trim to fit" axle kit seems like a good deal for the money,
but if you want full floating, like the old Warn kit, I think you'd need to use the big Jeep lug pattern.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2018 at 3:45pm
http://www.jeepfan.com/products/drvsus/warn-fullfloat.htm]

I think it only came in Narrow and Wide Trac CJ widths tho 
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2018 at 3:55pm
What Jeep are you working with? FSJ AMC 20s had larger tubes, larger bearings and one-piece axle shafts. Little Jeeps had the same basic 2-piece shaft and hub setup as cars, except for hub pilot diameter and wheel bolt pattern. Lots of one-piece axle shaft kits for Jeeps, as an option to a full-floater, depending on application.

What "stronger" setup are you considering? May be best to check one of the Jeep sites for common swaps to suit your application.

If it's for a car and wanting full floater for e.g. road race, you'd need to go the custom route to fit snouts to suit typical stock car floater hubs. Moser, and likely others, can make floater shafts to suit the AMC 29 spline, but likely better off just getting a 9" for serious track use.

Hope this helps,RD
JeeperJolene View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeeperJolene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2018 at 5:14pm
Sorry, I should've specified. I usually don't post my Jeep stuff here. This is for my '73 Javelin. I'm sticking with the 360 and 727, just building it up naturally aspirated, so I highly doubt I'll ever pass 500 HP.

The ultimate goal with this car is to modernize steering, suspension, power and efficiency as best as possible, all while looking completely stock from the outside and inside the car. I'm trying to build the car to be good for street racing, occasional casual drag racing and pleasure cruising, while not being great at any of them (I know it's impossible for the car to master all three at once). I know the local speed shop is going to tell me to go with a GM 12 bolt or a Ford 9 inch, so I wanted to get opinions from you guys first.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2018 at 5:44pm
I think at least one of Mark Donohue's rear axles was a full floater,
 but I'm pretty sure that was to eliminate the binding from the camber he designed in to it.

The toughest part would probably be getting small 5 on 4.5" pattern full floating hubs,
 but I think regular semi-floating 1-piece shafts would hold up to the horsepower levels you're talking about.
 It's the housing/tubes & 8 lonely ring gear bolts might not like it if sticky tires and hard launches are part of the deal.

JeeperJolene View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeeperJolene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2018 at 6:04pm
I'm not married to a 5x4.5 bolt pattern as I'll be getting new wheels anyway. The originals are long lost so I'm open to do whatever.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2018 at 6:23pm
"keyways" don't do squat on the AMC axles. It's an old wive's tale.
The strength is in the splines and the correct installation process and torque applied to the nut.
Set the axle depth correctly in the hub, torque it and it will handle a heck of a lot. 
The biggest killer on them is people who don't know what they are doing with 'em, people taking shortcuts, or getting a tire really spinning hard and then SMACK, WHAM, hitting dry rough pavement and the tire grips and you break things. 
They'll handle more HP than a mild 360 - you'd have to build a 360 pretty strong to really be concerned IF the axle is done correctly.

But cutting keyways in the hub and axle and installing a bigger key - what a joke. I've seen it done and if those splines let loose - you'll cut any key in half really fast. 
The original key as used by AMC was to LOCATE the hub on the axle once they were paired up so when a hub was removed it could be put back on the same axle in the exact same orientation and grip like new again. The key was ONLY for locating a used hub back onto it's mating used axle and for no other reason at all, period.

Don't over-think this thing.......
79amxv8 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79amxv8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2018 at 6:27pm
Send your axels in to Moser and get a set of solid one`s. They are not terribly expensive and should be just fine for you. I have had a set in mine for years with no troubles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic