TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 327CI V8-225 supercharging boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tl-01a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC 327CI V8-225 supercharging boat
    Posted: Jan/18/2017 at 7:54am
Hi everyone!

My dad owns a 1964 wood sport boat, its a special built, only 1 piece exists.

The past 15 years my dad used to restore it in our garage, it took him more than 1000 hours. The boat sits on a trailer and we use it to go water skiing and just for having fun on the weekends. Its only used on Swiss Lakes, it never touches salt water.

Its powerd by a Graymarine Fireball V8-225, the engine is based on an AMC 327 with Graymarine headers and camshafts. Its cooled by a 2 cycle water cooling system build from kirry parts. Sea water never touches the engine. The engine runs to the right side, other than car engines running to the left. For more performance it got upgraded with a Holly EFI on a custom made mount. There are no laws for emissions or noise in boats that old, its more or less straight piped. Every 5 or so years it has to go for a checkup by a shop certified by the goverment, they will ajust the eingines settings to improve the emissions.

The engine should make arround 250HP, this is enough for water skiing, but power is still a little tight. The boat is about 5000 pounds and the shape is not perfect to be very fast. It makes arround 35MPH right now.

My dad would like to super or turbocharge the engine to gain a little more power. As far as we know there are no plug an play solutions for this kind of engine.

Do you have any recommendations?

Greetings from Switzerland!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2017 at 6:39am
As you stated, no plug and play solutions. A crank driven supercharger like a Vortec would be reasonably easy. With straight pipes you could bring both into one turbo in the rear, or run two small turbos. With premium fuel you're going to be limited to about 5 psi without running some kind of timing control. The car 327 cam was rather mild, you can gain some power by having it reground. I don't know about the boat cam, especially with it turning the opposite direction. All really depends on how much room you have in the engine bay. The Vortec is probably the easiest solution, but you'll have to make custom mounting brackets. That depends on what is driven by the crank now -- the water cooling system probably uses an external pump, not just the engine mounted water pump.
Frank Swygert
Rebel327 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2017 at 8:53pm
Most guys get rid of side draft carbs and add an automotive 4 bbl intake and marine carb. This is your restriction. Boats generally run around at 2500 rpm so performance not needed. Not much else you can do except get cam ground.   

If you choose other options, it's all custom.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2017 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Rebel327 Rebel327 wrote:

Most guys get rid of side draft carbs and add an automotive 4 bbl intake and marine carb. This is your restriction. Boats generally run around at 2500 rpm so performance not needed. Not much else you can do except get cam ground.   

If you choose other options, it's all custom.

C'mon Cuz, I am sure that we could come up with our own Supercharger kit for a 327. How hard could it be...
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2017 at 7:15pm
Leaf blowers...
Gremlin Dreams
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2017 at 7:28am
The leaf blower comment was not a joke.

http://www.rockfordracing.com/images/misc/blower.jpg

But avoid ANY advertised electric superchargers.
They are junk, a rip off.

A high powered leaf blower will add some hp as long
as the fuel air mixture stays correct under the
small boost you will get.
Gremlin Dreams
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2017 at 8:40am
It would see to me that the expense of trying to come up with a belt driven supercharger for a right hand drive boat engine that has no plug and play options best be applied to a turbo charger. Both have to be fabricated but by in large turbo applications are fabrications anyway. So many turbo application kits consist of fabricating pieces supplied for them. As to regrinding cams, that is pretty much a lost cost too as there are no blanks available should you want one. That is a big enough problems for those with left hand engines.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
Rebel327 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2017 at 2:33pm
I am not sure I understand their cooling system however boats do use the exhaust manifolds to cycle cooling water...if so....not so much on the Turbo. A cam swap and automotive 4 bbl intake with carb should get them 50 hp. IMO
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2017 at 6:33pm
The water through the exhaust is the "muffler". I agree that the cam regrind will make a world of difference.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2017 at 7:13pm
Note, only use a marine type carb in a boat.
Car carbs are not designed to catch over flow
and can burn or blow up your boat.
Gremlin Dreams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic