TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

amc 360 cam/dist.gear problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2008 at 12:52pm
Are you still running the oil filter bypass in the filter adapter or is it blocked off?
Hate to see any of the metal pushed through to the crank.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2008 at 12:59pm
and embed in the soft bearings and cut things up.........
amxess View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2008 at 2:29pm

From experience, I'd only use a matched original AMC set of distributor/drive gears, or use Bulltear's matched set only. Chrysler dealers were selling distributor gears last few years but not drive gears and the distributor gear would chew up an original drive gear real fast.

As far as timing gears sets for oiling, the "Rollmaster" brand is the best I've seen available as you don't have to worry about lining up the hole from the cam/gear as the Rollmaster has a ball bearing recess that will get the oil to the gears no matter if the cam hole is a little off or not.

amxess
twister01 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twister01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2008 at 12:04pm
 Sorry for the late responce, just got in from work!     i will look into both the rollmaster and Bulltears . I'm going to pull the oil pan and try to flush the motor ,crank ,cam bearings etc just so I no its clean and ready to go.

Thanks for all your input and sugestions, Dave
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2008 at 10:43pm
The distributor gear wearing out/failing too soon is a problem on other makes as well, buicks and fords have the same issue with cam gears being chewed up.  I remember cheverolets had a huge problem with the entire camshaft wearing out on production engines prematurely.   The cam gear issue is a common problem, not an AMC specific problem, and the reasons why they happen to an AMC have already been mentioned.  Good parts (when you can find them) and proper engine specs/tolerances are the solution. 

FWIW I have the original cam gear in my 343 I replaced my distributor 6 years ago with an MSD and just dropped it in with the installed gear right out of the box.  Engine was rebuilt last spring and used the orginal cam gear and the same MSD distributor. Funny thing though that may have worked in my favor I had that MSD distributor sitting brand new in a box  indoors for ten years so it was already 4 years old when I intsalled it. Distributor gears may have been better then?

Edited by 348AMX - Mar/24/2008 at 10:53pm
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2008 at 11:10pm
LOL, you may be onto something! You had an old gear made before some of the bad ones came out???

>>The cam gear issue is a common problem, not an AMC specific problem, and the reasons why they happen to an AMC have already been mentioned.  Good parts (when you can find them) and proper engine specs/tolerances are the solution.  <<

Yup.  But you know how rumors and wive's tales go - and if seen on the web, it MUST be true!
Red View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2008 at 10:11pm
this is a common problem. But I know how to fix this problem. You probably aare using a aftermarket timing chain and gears. Always use a bronze diss gear. Then underneath the timing cover there are your oil plugs that supply oil to the lifters.  Remove the small pipe plug on the DRIVER side. Next drill  1/16th hole in the center of the plug and screw it back in. the cam and diss gear will then get enough oil. This will solve your prob. I work for Herman Lewis Racing. The godfather of AMC.  Any more questions just give us a call at (304-253-9643) Mon-Sat 9 to 6 est. We are a full service auto machine shop,specializing in AMC performance. We now are making aluminum heads and intakes.Herman has 19 world records and over 200 wins with his 69 amx.
GremlinXman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GremlinXman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2008 at 10:31pm
 Red,
 That is just plain wrong. You should not have to make any modifications if the parts are correct and not worn and installed correctly. If the parts are not, no amount of redirected oil willl "fix" your problem.  You must make sure the oil pump shaft hole in the timming cover is not worn out. More then .002 runout will wipe a gear out. Next use a matched set of new or used gears, then be sure the oil holes are in the cam gear. Make sure the casting flash is removed from the oil supply grove in the cam timming gear, cam bearing is installed properly, cam has hole for oil path,make sure you install the fuel pump eccentric with the word rear facing the engine. Make sure you use timing cover locating dowel pins. Be sure the gasket is removed from the cover where the distributor goes in. Many times they stay on the cover and folks don't realize and add another gasket. Then there was a bad batch of covers made and bad batch of gears made. I have been using the Bultear matched sets the past few years with good results.
 As you can see there are many reasons you can have problems with your distributor gear set. Folks that have added ways to get more oil on the gears have just coincidentally fixed the real issue and thought the extra oil is what did the trick.
 My .02
 Davis
 Amc Team racing
 PS.
 Does Herman have any intakes available right now? I have a buyer for one.

Edited by GremlinXman - Apr/06/2008 at 7:44am
72 Gremlin X was 360 Auto ran 12.6 @ 107 now 406 CI Auto 11.035 @ 121
Red View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2008 at 9:46pm

The reason for the shortage of oil on the diss and cam gears is the factory cam gears has two holes that oil is forced through to lube the gears. Aftermarket gears have six. Therefore there is less presure to squirt oil to the gears. Only if you can get youre hands on a OEM gear or one with only two holes, you need to drill the 1/16 hole in the plug.  You can get the bronze gear from Mallory. Herman also has made a oil pump that only has good pressure but increases volume. Stock oil pump has 6 teeth thats six squirts for every revolution. We sell one that has 9 teeth, increasing volume by 30%.  Yes we do have intakes and heads. The first one is a single highrise that will match up tp original steel heads. We have a new intake and head. The head has intake runners 4 inches on center. The intake looks like a giant spider. Its like a chevy SP design. All intake runners are 4 inch on center, to match the head. This combo is BAD ASS!  Call the shop talk to Herman yourself (304)-253-6493 Best time to catch Big H. in the shop is after 2p.m. to 6p.m.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2008 at 4:41pm
If the number of passages in the timing gear is an issue then a little well placed epoxy (on a CLEAN NEW gear) will do the trick. I'm not so sure that's an issue. Volume of oil in that area should be more critical than pressure, as the oil doesn't squirt directly on the dizzy gear. What HAS been a problem is casting flash in the passages on aftermarket gears. Make sure they're free of blockage! 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic