TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

amc 4 speed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: amc 4 speed
    Posted: Oct/13/2009 at 2:46pm

Hi this is my 1st day on the forum. I currently have 2 74 hornets and one sweet running concord. I would like to put a 360 in the I6 stick hornet, it has a 3spd on the floor, i was hoping that i could just put the motor in front of the 3spd but I don't think that tranny would hold up. I was wondering what tranny that i should be looking for? any help would be great thanks

bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2009 at 5:19pm
amc t10 4 speed.amc did use a 3 speed behind v8s also
thebug View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2009 at 11:42am
thanks bigbadgreen i did some more research and saw a picture of a 3spd setup and it looked like a regular trans but the one in my hornet is tiny in comparison, a chevette tranny is bigger!
now are all t10's the same from brand to brand or is it an amc only t10 that i need?
thanks for the help
bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2009 at 11:56am
amc t10 different .uses some ford and gm parts in amc case.
thebug View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2009 at 12:00pm
so i'm guessing that won't be easy to find,  and if i do it will be at mopar pricesCry
74 hornet hatchback manual
74 hornet hatchback auto
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2009 at 12:55pm
T-10 in AMC's are for AMC's only. a T-10 out of a GM or a Ford will not fit.......if your Hornet 3spd is non sychro in 1st gear, it may be a T-96. but then 1972 was the last year. if you have the T-14, they did have some behind the small V8's-----my car was a 304/T-14 originally. and now have a 360/T14.  they did build 360/3spds..............(1971 SC/Hornet)...........
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2009 at 10:46pm

I had a T14 behind a 401 in a 74 Gremlin that I had years ago. It held up just fine, and that Gremiln won a lot of street races too.

BTW, I don't think anyone mentioned, the AMC T10 was made by Borg Warner.
Cool
Dennis

Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
390spirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2009 at 7:05am
i got a complete T-10 trans and bell with t/o fork for sale if your interested,

pm me for details if you like

Norm
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2009 at 7:36pm

Not to lose a sale for Norm as the T10 was used behind 390/401’s but you may want to look at a T5 5 sp od from a Mustang. The world class T5 is stronger over the normal T5 and IIRC should work (may need to drill/tap some holes) with your bell housing & fork.

Now what has not been said is the 6 cly rear you have in the car now. Normal driving should be OK but if you are going to start driving with a heavy foot it may not stay with you for long. There is a easy fix for the front cross member as a v8 will not bolt to the 6cly one.

Dave ----

TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic