TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC and the Torque Thrust D''s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2018 at 6:39pm
The reviews on that particular wheel on some vendor's website has some complaints about the center needing to be removed to get the wheel off. That is one reason that I decided against them.
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2018 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by cone cone wrote:

Originally posted by AMXFSTBK390 AMXFSTBK390 wrote:

I purchased four Classic Torq-Thrust II polished rim/painted spokes two-piece wheels 15 x 8 with 4.5 bs and 4.25 bs and the wheels are notched for the lug nuts. They are $408.99 each. The wheel bearing dust covers must be removed to take off the wheel.
Why are these wheels so much more expensive? I've had 15X7 torgue thrust wheels on my AMX for years. They look good but don't have enough back spacing, it's 3.75inches . I have to be careful in a tight turn if I hit a bump or the front wheels will rub.

Two-piece cost more to make, come in six back spacings, and come in widths up to 14", the rims are polished and spokes are painted. Here are mine the day I bought them from a purist who  took them off a real '65 Shelby GT350 he just bought. 15x7 4.25 bs and 15x8 4.50 bs. Came with dust covers. 
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
dpc502 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpc502 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2018 at 7:27pm
16x7 with 225/55/16 front and 16x8.5 with 255/50/16 rear stock height and 4.5 backspace. 
'70 BBB AMX #21736
'69 BBG AMX #14222
'69 BBG 500 Special #13482
'69 BBO AMX #12938
'69 Black Mink AMX #11086

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2018 at 9:53pm
in the very early 80's i bought a set of new 14 x 6 genuine American Racing Torque Thrust D's for my then-Hornet. very nicely made -- but the plastic craps i mean caps, held on by cheap sheet metal screws (hey, they're race wheels, whatcha expect?! :-) had to come off to get a slim deep socket in.

i simply filed the web of the plastic cap down with a round file, and that was that.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

AMXTSY View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXTSY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2018 at 9:10am
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

I think all considered, that's less than "acceptable" and would return them...
A number of companies make that style wheel...
Thought the straight spoke was call TTO and Torque Thrust D had curved spokes ?...
I like the straight spoke style, gray spokes with polished rim...
Long ago had some 14 inch one, they where Fenton Ram Rod Rims,
Lug Nut install / remove was "normal" with these old vintage Fenton rims...

Someone told me once that TTO stood for Torque Thrust Original and TTD was for Torque Thrust Disc. Not totally sure about the spoke configuration but I think you are correct.  Bruce

Bruce Carothers
Champaign County, Il.
AMO # 9928
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2018 at 12:46pm
I have this car and these wheel`s close to 20 years...15x7 and 15x4.5  and you have to remove the center caps to take off the lug nut`s...Trust D`s came out in 65 to clear disc calipers
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2018 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by one bad rambler one bad rambler wrote:

I have this car and these wheel`s close to 20 years...15x7 and 15x4.5  and you have to remove the center caps to take off the lug nut`s...Trust D`s came out in 65 to clear disc calipers

^This

is a sharp combination Clap

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
70amxvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2018 at 1:50pm
After spending a lot of time and money trying to find made in USA old school TT rims which all had different back spaces or bent rims I bought the new ones. I bought the polished ones and painted the spokes. Yes they are made in china and have been for a long time. I also dropped the allen head screws and went with regular phillip head to speed that process up on the caps. You may also want to buy extra inserts and glue them into the rim, they are just inserted which is better then the old style which are tapped in and stripe out.

Edited by 70amxvegas - Sep/22/2018 at 2:04pm
70amxvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2018 at 2:49pm
InRogue View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2018 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

Originally posted by one bad rambler one bad rambler wrote:

^This

is a sharp combination Clap

S.......WEET
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic