TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area > Tool Tips and fabrication
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - AMC buffs, mechanics who are also woodworkers..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC buffs, mechanics who are also woodworkers..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC buffs, mechanics who are also woodworkers..
    Posted: Dec/19/2012 at 12:48pm
I wonder how many of us there are? Seems quite a few from what I hear.
I'm passing along a tip I wondered why I wasn't clever enough to think of this years ago.

This comes from forum member/friend Mr. Ed ->

Save that sawdust from your saws, power tools, or shop vacs or dust collection systems and use it in your auto shop or garage as a sweeping compound/oil dry.
(If you are a gardener - you could also add it to the garden or your compost pile.)

I have all sorts of buckets around with nice lids I've started saving my sawdust into for later use.
There are times that the stuff I get in the shop vac is too find and dusty, or else has chunks, so probably wouldn't work perfectly, but for the most part, what comes off the table saw or radial arm saw, even the router table, is just about perfect for using on the concrete shop floor where I work cars.
I was using the cheap WalMart basic kitty litter (uh, BEFORE Yawnie, Koko, Tuvok and Pickle got to it)  on my shop floor to take care of minor spills or leaks but even at only 3 or 4 bucks a bag, this sawdust tip beats that.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2012 at 6:33pm
When your hands are covered with grease or oil, "washing" them with sawdust is a good pretreatment for washing them at the sink.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
73sprjeep View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73sprjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2012 at 7:28pm
Saw dust sounds like a good idea, I never had too good of luck with kitty litter. Seems like it just isn't absorbent enough to pick up the oil. Of course I NEVER spill oil on my garage floor!LOL
73 superjeep 71 hornet 70 javelin. All long gone and sadly missed.
ryder6330 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryder6330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2012 at 4:26am
Hopefully it does not happen anymore, but used car dealerships used to tip sawdust into diffs, and gearboxes. Takes all the noise out. Short term gain I guess, but sawdust. 101 uses.
Oh and dont add sawdust to your compost. Put it straight on to keep snails at bay
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2012 at 12:43pm
I use to have an outlet for a saw mill that would barrel up sawdust for me to do just that.   but I have not talked to them in years  as I ended up having 4 55 gal barrels. now that is all about gone so maybe it is time to go talk again to them
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2012 at 6:34pm
i remodeled my upstairs bath, downstairs bath and kitchen in west red cedar.  saved all of the sawdust and used some of it to put down on the ground all around the house.  use some of it for
cleaning the carport and we found that not only does it work great for an absorbent but it also keeps the mosquitoes and roaches at bay.  we love it.  now when we run low we go buy a cedar board and turn it into sawdust just for those reasons.  not to mention it smells great.  
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2012 at 6:45pm
My grandfather would save the sawdust from his project and mix it with wood glue to make a colour matched filler. Works well unless you're staining the wood. The hardened filler doesn't absorb stain.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2012 at 7:17am
Originally posted by 6768rogues 6768rogues wrote:

When your hands are covered with grease or oil, "washing" them with sawdust is a good pretreatment for washing them at the sink.

I'm loving all these tips - this and all the others that follow.
I'd not thought of that one before, but it makes sense, and better than some of the other stuff as far as safety for the skin.

I'd never heard of the sawdust for keeping snails at bay trick before.
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2012 at 8:31am
It also works wonders on a noisy rear end that you need to buy some time for before replacing the gears!   
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2012 at 9:24am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Originally posted by 6768rogues 6768rogues wrote:

I'm loving all these tips - this and all the others that follow.
I'd not thought of that one before, but it makes sense, and better than some of the other stuff as far as safety for the skin.

I'd never heard of the sawdust for keeping snails at bay trick before.

Remember that the cedar chest works on the principle that the aroma of the cedar keeps the moths at bay. So that same aroma must keep snails away also.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic