TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Product Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Amc spirit/sx4 1/4 window louvers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2015 at 10:31am
I have honestly never found any louvers to buy online anywhere. This is why I was hoping to try to remake the side ones somehow. The factory side ones are less then 1/8 thick and made very cheap. I was hoping to make them out of 1/8th or a bit more.

The full set was on my red amx and black amx when I bought them. 

The other full set was on an sx/4 parts car that I was actually paid to take it. They went on my white amx. 

I have never had an aluminum rear one. I keep an eye out for it but highly doubt I will ever find one. Very lucky to have the ones I do.
DaleG View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaleG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2015 at 7:44pm
Hi. I'm new here but would be very interested in a set of louvers.  A top spray of clear coat would probably keep them from getting UV damage. I used to do that with the Neon colored double wipers back in the 80's.
racerkilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2015 at 7:48pm
I will be in contact with mirror images in the next few days to see if they can make a mold and figure out a material. This is the same company that a member here used to reproduce the 79 amx air dam, which looks great by the way.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2015 at 9:29pm
So talked to mirror images... The side window louvers would be made out of a urethane plastic. 

They would run around 180 plus shipping I think.

I need 15 preorders to start the molding process. After the 15 sets it would be 4-8 weeks after they receive my originals to finish the molds and start production.

If you are honestly 100 percent interested in a set at that price please pm and go from there
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2015 at 8:17am
PM Sent!  WooHoo!!
2014 Star Stryker - Only Ride
1992 Bayliner Trophy Walk-Around
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2015 at 8:43am
Originally posted by DaleG DaleG wrote:

Hi. I'm new here but would be very interested in a set of louvers.  A top spray of clear coat would probably keep them from getting UV damage. I used to do that with the Neon colored double wipers back in the 80's.

Living and dealing with the destruction of plastic and rubber in Arizona's environment of Heat and U.V. problems, it almost makes rust look good.
Clear coated automobiles paint job's are destroyed after about 5 years or even less.
I have one car that the Clear Coat lasted only 3 years. And it was a PPG product.
I'd have to have some very serious explanations as to the UV tolerance of a product. As it stands at the moment, while $180.00 would be a fair price, it is not something that I can support.
Sorry about that.
I have a 1980 AMX and a Spirit that could stand a set, but not enough to gamble the price asked at the present.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
garsod View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2015 at 1:22pm
I'm in for a set or two. PM sent

83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2015 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by uncljohn uncljohn wrote:

I'd have to have some very serious explanations as to the UV tolerance of a product. As it stands at the moment, while $180.00 would be a fair price, it is not something that I can support.

I've seen you post on this issue a couple of times (UV and Paint), and I can certainly understand the concerns. 

Unless the parts crack or warp under the constant heat, what's wrong with a new coat of paint after a few years?

2014 Star Stryker - Only Ride
1992 Bayliner Trophy Walk-Around
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2015 at 4:24pm
I know my nephew WOULD take a pair, in fact, I bet my family would support 2 pair of side louvers.
I'll say yes for my nephew - and not even have to ask him and say yes on a second set as if my niece doesn't want them, i'd take them for spares as the ones I have I had to repair with epoxy - the split between the "slats" at the edges.
I have 2 styles of mounting tabs - I used the stick-on set, the other set is the sort that slips under the seal but knowing how old the window seals are and how likely such things are to leak, I opted to NOT mess with seals. Besides the profile on the GLASS is identical between the 2 sets of mounts I have, and they all use the nuts to hold the side louvers to the mounting pieces, be they stick-on or "under the seal" types.

My car came out of California and set in a yard in the sun for roughly 10 years. Some parts were toast, yeah, like the bumper ends, but others were still fine. There wasn't any paint on the horizontal surfaces but no biggy, at least there wasn't rust, either!

AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2015 at 4:31pm
The set of louvers you showed billd are the same ones I have on my black amx and have 7 slats to the louver with 4 mounting nuts from the front side.

The ones Id like to mod are 5 slat which are on my amx and pictured below... they have no mounting nuts and use tabs made to the louver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic