TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX Rally Car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMX Rally Car
    Posted: Mar/18/2016 at 8:53pm
First off I have no idea how to build a rally car.  I just took the car to a guy I trust with a truck load of parts Ive been packing around for years. 

The idea is to run the car on tarmac and forest roads....uh I mean asphalt and dirt. 

Where I started.

So here are the first pics I got today from the shop.  Starting up front and working backwards.  Fender troughs off and new front support with the radiator mounted.

amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2016 at 8:15am
This car was given "Best Engineered Car of the Year" award by Society of Automotive Engineers two years in a row; 1969 & 1970.

*That's a BIG DEAL*

Think about it; ... B E S T   E N G I N E E R E D  C A R ... in the world... WOW = REALLY WOW

NO; not Mercedes, not BMW, not Porsche... YES; AMC's AMX got the award instead.

= just put back into stock condition and you'll have an excellent car.

(ever driven a 'nice' AMX? why screw it up?)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why not make a 'beater' using a junkyard sourced Matador fastback with an Olds Toronado transaxle/AMC V8 bell adapter to make it a mid-engined experimental? (like making your own AMX/3?)

...think it would 'jump good'? rear weight biased? YEE HAW JETHRO!

Hey... ever heard of a Jeep XJ?...

Why not start out with a Eagle SX4? -having quadratrac with 7" front & 9" rear wheel travel isn't good enough?

Or why not start with VW bug chassis and make a 'dune buggy'? (wouldn't that be more fun for whatcha wanna do?)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Heaven on earth is where the French are cooks, the Brits are police officers, the Greeks are the lovers and the Swiss are the bankers.

heck on earth is where the Brits are the cooks, the Germans are the police officers, the Greeks are the bankers and the Swiss are the lovers."

Edited by amcenthusiast - Apr/27/2016 at 7:04am
Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2016 at 9:05am
I have no response to this post.
ambassador401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ambassador401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2016 at 9:17am
Really cool! What kind of rally class you are building this for? Is it going to be amc powered? Cant wait to see the progress

Teemu
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2016 at 9:28am
Teemu

Basically I had this shell with no vin/title and a bunch of parts I had from an abandoned project.  So I met a real good fabricator with real good rates and decided to put the car together.

I have another "tarmac" car planned and was always a fan of rally racing so I decided to build it to NASA Rally standards which will also allow it to race in other groups but not vintage.

I will probably do some hill climbs with it but tearing up old logging roads sounds so much better.

I am going to do allot of the stuff we talked about in the past.  In fact the sway bar set going in is based on yours!!  Thanks for the idea. 
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2016 at 11:58am
Originally posted by amcenthusiast amcenthusiast wrote:

Why not make a 'beater' using a junkyard sourced Matador fastback with an Olds Toronado transaxle/AMC V8 bell adapter to make it a mid-engined experimental? (like making your own AMX/3?)

...think it would 'jump good'? rear weight biased? YEE HAW JETHRO!

Hey... ever heard of a Jeep XJ?...

Why not start out with a Eagle SX4? -having quadratrac with 7" front & 9" rear wheel travel isn't good enough?

Or why not start with VW bug chassis and make a 'dune buggy'? (wouldn't that be more fun for whatcha wanna do?)
Because anyone can build what you posted how many have access to and AMC AMX to build and race?

Besides if you have a car with out a title other than cut it up or crush it I think this is the next best thing.
Also every one will now know what an AMC AMX is.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2016 at 12:06pm
Dave....I like your style.  Still wish your 70 would have worked out but I am happy to get this AMX going.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2016 at 12:36pm
Fresh pics of Schroeder sway bar going in.

GreggR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2016 at 6:16pm
Don't know squat about building rally cars... but I sure do want to see "sideways" pics when you get on the loose stuff...

No matter where you go, there you are... Buckaroo Banzai.'75 Hornet Hatchback
ambassador401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ambassador401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2016 at 2:00am
Nice! I dont know about rallying in US but in Finland we have these so called Sprint Rallys that are easy way to start rallying. There is just one special stage that is driven two times and you can go check it trough before by foot or bicycle. You dont need a co driver or notes. There are both gravel an tarmac. I quess your hill climb races are a bit like that
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic