TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX Rally Car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2016 at 5:00pm
304 dude,
Wide track and fat tires are not needed for a rally or rally cross car. Most events in the USA are run on dirt and a fat tire will float and not turn well on dirt.  A rally/rally cross car has to be built UNSTABLE for want of better word.
You need to throw it in the opposite  direction at a moments notice. Many of the 4wd cars are built with some toe out front and rear,
One other point the rallys you see on TV are European and run on paved roads where large track and fat tires work. 

Nick
Ex Regional Pro Rally driver(it got too expensive)
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2016 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by nickleone nickleone wrote:

304 dude,
Wide track and fat tires are not needed for a rally or rally cross car. Most events in the USA are run on dirt and a fat tire will float and not turn well on dirt.  A rally/rally cross car has to be built UNSTABLE for want of better word.
You need to throw it in the opposite  direction at a moments notice. Many of the 4wd cars are built with some toe out front and rear,
One other point the rallys you see on TV are European and run on paved roads where large track and fat tires work. 

Nick
Ex Regional Pro Rally driver(it got too expensive)

Ah, was thinking them Euro on and off road tracks. Though I am keeping my tack no wider than 65" would have thought them Baja trucks were about the same. I on and off followed Robby Gordons move in to Baja racing seems fun and a bit wild, as you cant tame the coarse, just respect it.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2016 at 3:44pm
Re-worked the upper control arm mounting angle and got the coil overs on.

XRX744 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XRX744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2016 at 9:22pm
Great build! Keep up the progress, can't wait to see it finished!!!!
69 AMX, pro touring /track car, TEAM tribute, aka: "The Kenosha Corncob"
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2016 at 6:40am
Some update photos.

shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2016 at 9:19am
Very cool project. Can't wait to see it finished.
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2016 at 1:01pm
Thanks for sharing, looks like things are coming together nicely.
I thought I'd post a quick picture of what I'm working on here. Same concept with slightly different execution.

I'm also using the 70 and up suspension uprights, and replacing the upper trunion with a mopar style ball joint. I'm using the longer QA-1 version to get more camber gain. The QA-1 units are rebuildable and you can swap out a few different stud lengths to change the angle of the upper A-arm.
I've yet to figure out exactly where I'm going to mount the coil-over, but I have the upper arms ready for final welding!

Edited by 343sharpstick - Aug/01/2016 at 1:06pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2017 at 10:07am

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2017 at 10:20am
Here is a walk around video of the car.  Not the best but you can get a better idea of everything.

Rampar View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rampar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2017 at 1:43pm
I see your running sliders on the rear of your car... how exactly do you go about setting those up? Excuse my ignorance about them but do the leafs have to be parallel for them to work right?
1966 Rampar American
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic