TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX Wheel Trim Rings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackb67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMX Wheel Trim Rings
    Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 1:36pm
My 1968 AMX had one oddball trim ring and I was able to chase down a threesome of what appeared to be the correct replacement. I have had no luck trying to install the replacement and it does not appear to be retained in the same manner as the other 3. The replacement ones  have 4 small spring clip retainers at 90 degrees separation. Unfortunately, I can not figure out how to post pictures here.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 2:02pm
The three trim rings with clips 90 degrees apart sound like original trim rings. Those four clips lock onto the rim similar to a wheel weight.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 2:04pm
Those with the four spring clips are the correct style. They clip on the rim lip. Some of the clips may be broke.
mackb67 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackb67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 2:35pm
Does that mean that I have to deflate the tire to install the trim ring????can't very well beat on it in the same way that I would installing a wheel weight
Doug in New Freedom View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 8:02pm
Actually, I think the '68 AMX's only had Magnum 500 chrome wheels,or Hub Caps. Don't think the Beauty Rings were used in on '68's?? 

I have both the Magnum 500's, and the Hub Caps, which get a lot of attention on my '68.
People seem to like the hub caps, they are different and rarely seen.
Doug in New Freedom
68 AMX
69 CHEVY C1O PICKUP
74 PORSCHE 914
84 K5 BLAZER
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 8:12pm
Doug in New Freedom is correct in that the 68 models used all chrome wheels without trim rings. Starting in 1969 the wheels had a painted sparkle-dark argent and black finish and used brushed trim rings that were retained by the 4 clips. You do not need to deflate the tire to secure the clips but you do need to align/orient the clips properly on the edge of the rim before you pound them on. In some cases the wheel weights will interfere with the clips. Do not try to pound the clips over a wheel weight. Later on, sometime in the 70s the trim rings were redesigned and were held in place with gripper teeth that fit into the inside circumference of the rim. These were much more secure and did not interfere with the wheel balancing weights.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
mackb67 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackb67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2019 at 9:25am
Now i have an idea of where I am going...apparently all four wheels had been fitted with the gripper style beauty rings and the wheel that is missing the beauty ring has all the scratches from where a gripper style had been fitted. Thanks to all for their inputs
target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2019 at 10:33am
If I remember correctly there were some with an oval valve stem hole and some with a round hole. After my first encounter with the 4 clips I started having the weights all put on the back side.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic