TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Any idea what rims and tires these are?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avery08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any idea what rims and tires these are?
    Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 3:33pm
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 6:47pm
Kirkwood can tell you............
Avery08 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avery08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 7:11pm
Is that who owns this spirit?I love it and am interested in how he lowered it,most of them sit way to high for my tastes.And yes I'm talking about the rwd version not the eagle.I'd also like to find out about his headlight conversion.I love this little amc
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Avery08 Avery08 wrote:

I'd also like to find out about his headlight conversion.I love this little amc

The headlights look like 1990 GM Caprice.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 9:56pm
The wheels look like 17's and the tire size looks like about a 40 profile, at least in front anyway. Probably also in the back.  If you get the right size wheel it will fill the opening quite well, and the front is easy enough to drop to the same level the back is at, about a half a turn off of the front coil will bring it down about 1 1/2 inches.  And it is a sharp car.  I too like the head lights. 

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
garsod View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2014 at 1:47am
Look for ford FR500 for the wheels. They look really nice!!
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2014 at 8:20am
The one problem I have with the cars is that they used little 14" tires that didn't come close to filling the wheel well which made it look like it was missing something. And yes, all AMCs had a front high stance that I do not like. I took a full round off of the front springs and the front now sits almost level with the rear. Once I get the 15" Turbocasts on the car, the rear wheel opening will be full and the car will have a nice stance.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2014 at 12:09pm
This was my car that I sold in 2007. The wheels are Mustang FR500 replica rims. Fronts are 18x9 and rears were 18x10 I think. in the front I had to use longer studs and in the rear I had 1" wheel adapters. The rear was lowered with blocks and the from used shorter springs.

You can't use 17" rims without adapters in the front because of tie-rod interference. The tie rod rides inside the rim on the 18" rim.

The headlights are Chevy Caprice headlights. I saw another spirit done with them and liked the look. They were a bit of a project to make them work! Lots of trimming of the headlight buckets and bezels. In the end they were fully functional and adjustable.
AMO Newsletter Editor
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2014 at 12:15pm
Here are a few more shots of that car

AMO Newsletter Editor
Avery08 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avery08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2014 at 3:15pm
Thanks for the information and additional pics.Do you remember the backspacing on the wheels by chance,or maybe have it in your notes?Are the tires in the 40 profile like uncljohn speculated.Last question,do you remember the year of caprice your light's and buckets come from.I like this spirit a lot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic