TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aviaid Dry Sump Oil Pan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx390ssc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2018 at 4:12pm
interesting oil pan.
i6cj7 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i6cj7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2018 at 10:51pm
I thought I read 401s would die from using a drysumo for some reason? 
Coloradoamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2018 at 11:20pm
I don't know why a 401 would die with a dry sump, but I can think of situations where it might die without a dry sump.  

i6cj7 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i6cj7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2018 at 2:55pm
I'm building a single turbo 401 to go into my jeep. And wondered if drysump would be overkill or the way to go for offroading. Currently i just plan on using a milodon or aviad 9 quart pan with a 2 or 3 quart accusump plumbed in for insurance. Thoughts?
Coloradoamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2018 at 4:21pm
Aside from the significant cost associated with the dry sump system, I wouldn't recommend a dry sump system for anything other than a race engine.  For one, it is a pain in the neck to have to prime the system when you start the engine.  If the engine sits for a few hours, the system needs to be primed to put oil back in the engine, but more importantly to scavenge oil out of the engine that has seeped past the pump into the engine due to gravity.  If my engine sits for a couple days, 2-3 quarts can settle into the engine.  I suppose if it sat for a long time, the entire tank could gravity feed into the engine.  

The dry sump system is primarily meant to keep oil in the engine under severe cornering/braking where a wet sump system may suck air due to the pick-up losing oil, and especially at very high RPMs.  I would expect that during off roading, you would probably not see high RPMs, but rather some lower RPMs making a dry sump system overkill and unnecessary. 
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2018 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by i6cj7 i6cj7 wrote:

I'm building a single turbo 401 to go into my jeep. And wondered if dry sump would be overkill or the way to go for off roading. Currently i just plan on using a milodon or aviad 9 quart pan with a 2 or 3 quart accusump plumbed in for insurance. Thoughts?
Food for thought: Dry sump systems were originally developed for use in WWII airplanes and then migrated to racing use after WWII. The main reason to use a dry sump is that it sucks the oil out of the pan and keeps it stored in the oil storage tank. This allows less crankshaft windage and allows the engine to still get oil regardless of the position of the engine. For Drag racing, Road Racing, and for sure Off Roading it is next to impossible to keep oil in the proper position to use a single wet sump oil pickup. Yes, it cost $2500-$3000 to get a complete dry sump system, but you will gain reliability and increase in horsepower from using it. 

Tom

i6cj7 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i6cj7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2018 at 4:56pm
Don't some of the new corvettes come with a drysump? I know my old Xr250r has a drysump system and it stores the oil in the frame. I didn't realize a drysump on a car needed to be primed before every use. This will be a daily driver., I'm just looking for the best oiling i can with what I'm putting into it and its intended use.

Like Tom said, with offroading at extreme angles I know drysump wouldn't skip a beat. I just don't know alot other than that 
401Ambo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401Ambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2018 at 5:56pm
Since my cars sit awhile between start-ups I use a 1 1/2 qt Moroso Oil Accumulator to pre-lube the engines before starting. It'll put out 20-25 psi. I have a Moroso solenoid plumbed into the line so it only takes a flick of the switch and it auto refills after the engine starts.

'72 401 Ambassador wagon
'69 pro-Street AMX
AMX/2 (starting soon)
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2018 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by i6cj7 i6cj7 wrote:

Don't some of the new corvettes come with a dry sump? I know my old Xr250r has a dry sump system and it stores the oil in the frame. I didn't realize a dry sump on a car needed to be primed before every use. This will be a daily driver., I'm just looking for the best oiling i can with what I'm putting into it and its intended use.

Like Tom said, with off roading at extreme angles I know dry sump wouldn't skip a beat. I just don't know a lot other than that 
Priming a dry sump is not big of an issue. All you do is remove the belt. You keep them loose anyway, so you don't even need to loosen the pump. Then you just need a 3/8" cordless drill with a socket chucked in it to turn the pump. It only takes a few seconds and you'll have only pressure in the system. As far as the oil draining back in the pan just put a 1/4 turn shut off valve at the bottom of the tank. If you into extreme off roading you can't go wrong using this type of system. 

Tom
i6cj7 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i6cj7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2018 at 2:13pm
after some research., the vette LS7 and LS9 are both drysump. Why don't these need to be primed? I know vette owners aren't popping their hoods everytime they go to drive them. Is there not a system for us like what's used in those that's daily drivable?? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic