TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Bell housing and flywheel compatibility?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDNragtop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bell housing and flywheel compatibility?
    Posted: Jul/06/2018 at 7:31am
Hello,

As a future project, I'm considering changing my 1966 American 232 six automatic to a manual transmission. 

I found a 1967 American with a 199 3 speed manual in a wrecking yard and am buying the whole pedal assembly and linkage. The yard says the 199 and 232 share the same bell housing and flywheel and I just wanted to confirm this was the case.

Can anyone confirm this? I found a company that sells an adapter for the first generation 232's so you can bolt up a 5 speed to them.

Regards,

Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2018 at 8:31am
Your swap should be pretty straight forward.  There's some good info on 5-speed conversions in the links.

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
CDNragtop View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDNragtop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2018 at 8:53am
Thanks for the quick reply.

Does this mean that that bell housing and flywheel for the 199 and 232 are interchangeable?  BTW, that Novak site is very clear about 1972 and later engines being fine but has concerns about the end of the crank on the earlier ones.

I'm trying to again find that supplier that offered an adapter for my engine. I've mis-placed the link... It was somewhere in the AMC Forum site.

Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2018 at 9:18am
Same block, same bell.  There's an adapter for 232 to T-5 as well.  He's a little something to chew on:

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
CDNragtop View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDNragtop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2018 at 9:29am
Thanks!

Yes, I found a different post from 232jav3spd and figured out the link to MDL for the adapter to use on a pre-71 232.

http://transmission.moderndriveline.com/speed/pc/Ford-T-5-to-AMC-Nash-Rambler-Adapter-plate-p573.htm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 7:42am
Pretty much everything from a 199 and 232 are interchangeable up to 1970. In 71 the deck height of the six block increased by about 1/8" to make the 258 possible (longer stroke). 72+ sixes have a different bell housing bolt pattern and slightly larger diameter flywheel/flexplate (same pattern as the AMC V-8( Just not that six cylinder bells are only ~6" deep, V-8s ~8" deep. Trannys will interchange if you change bell as well, but make use the trans will handle the power you have. You don't want to use a six cylinder trans behind a 401 unless the trans is built for power (you can build a 904 to handle high power), but if you're sticking a close to stock 304 in for a cruiser (not something you're going to horse around with a lot) a 904 with a shift kit and cooler will hold up just fine. AMC V-8  to early Ford Mustang T-5 adaptations use the six cylinder bell housing.
Frank Swygert
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 9:56pm
I've done two 5 speed swaps now. One a complete auto to manual conversion. Having the pedals makes made a lot easier. They are hard to find. You'll need the bell housing, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch fork and z bar. Wouldn't hurt to grab the driveshaft, too. Either it, or your car's driveshaft, may end up being the right length. I lucked out converting my 69 American to a manual and the auto's driveshaft was perfect.
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 10:30pm
You will have to notch the floor support rib for the shifter to clear.
CDNragtop View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDNragtop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 11:52am
Thanks! What did you end up using for the rear cross member of the T5 in your American? I'm hoping you didnt have to fabricate something from scratch.
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 3:22pm
I did fabricate a crossmember. Only materials I had was a piece of 3/16 flat stock, about 2"x15" and I cobbled together a crossmember using that she the ends of the stock unit to attach it to the frame. Also used two 55 Chevy "hockey puck" motor mounts to cushion the trans. It's ugly as sin, but works. I need to get some 1" DOM tubing and make a really nice one. That, or, make one using the trans mount for a V6/auto Mustang from the late 90s.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic