TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Burn through base and clear coat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burn through base and clear coat
    Posted: Oct/23/2016 at 5:49pm

I painted the AMX this past week and even though I know to stay away from body lines when wet sanding, I had some orange peel on the top of the rear quarter panels and before I knew it I had burned through.  Now I am trying to decide whether to leave it alone or try to blend in some base and clear.  Any ideas?
1968 AMX 390 4speed
target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2016 at 6:44pm
Blend and clear it.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2016 at 7:31pm
Years ago when I knew I would have to sand or buff near a edge, i'd put 1/4 inch masking tape on the crease, or edge.

But if you're getting dry, or orange peeled edges, that's a sign you're not painting up to that edge close enough, or spraying the edge at all.

If that was on the inside edge,  i'd touch it up with a dagger brush,  but on a outside you've got no choice but to spray a little basecoat on and blend the clear.  I have no problems blending clear when it's a fresh job.   I just sand beyond the blend area with 1500 grit, and make sure I blend inside the sanded area.

Edited by tyrodtom - Oct/23/2016 at 7:37pm
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
gtpower View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2016 at 9:49pm
Thanks guys I guess that's what I was thinking!

1968 AMX 390 4speed
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic